Can someone help with Argand plane graphing and finding the radius?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding the geometrical representation of complex numbers and the request for resources to help with this topic. The main focus is on understanding the equation |z-z1| = k|z-z2| and its relation to a circle. The conversation suggests expanding the equation and rearranging it in terms of z1 and z2 to better visualize the concept. The center and radius of the circle are also discussed, with the understanding that the values of k determine the location of z1 and z2 with respect to the circle.
AlchemistK
I'm having trouble with the various geometrical representation of complex numbers.
Can someone provide me link where this is discussed, or maybe an argand plane graphing calculator online?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is there anything in particular that's troubling you or is it a general problem you're having? Are you studying from a textbook or in school?

I'm having trouble with visualizing " |z-z1| = k |z-z2|" where k is an real number. I know that it gives a circle, but where are the complex numbers z1 , z2 located on this circle? What deterrence do the different values of K make? (less than 0, more than 0, less than 1,etc.)

That is just one problem I came across in my book, but I'd love to see all the other different geometrical shapes and representations in the argand plane.

Where do z1 and z2 lie with respect to the circle that is formed? What complex number is the center?

AlchemistK said:
Where do z1 and z2 lie with respect to the circle that is formed? What complex number is the center?

Hey AlchemistK.

Try expanding the equation until you get the equation for a circle.

Consider that z = a + ib. What you want to do is get an equation in terms of the x and y coordinates, but in terms of an ellipse or circle: a circle has the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 for a circle centred at (a,b) with a radius r.

So arrange your equation in terms of your z1 and z2 by making them constant (z1 = c + di, z2 = e + fi) and solve in terms of your z (make z = a + bi). You're a and b terms will be variable (like say x and y in a normal cartesian function) and the c,d,e,f terms are just constants.

Rearrange them so that you an equation like (t - a)^2 + (u - b)^2 = r^2 for some constants t,u, and r where a and b correspond to the z = a + bi representation of z.

If you do this you will understand all the concepts and it will help you with later mathematics.

OK on taking z=x+iy, z1 = a+ib and z2= c+id and solving I get :

x^2 + y^2 + 2x[(a - c*k^2)/(k^2 -1)] + 2y[(b - d*k^2 )/(k^2 -1)] - R

Where R is some constant. So the center comes out to be :

[(c*k^2 -a)/(k^2 -1)] , [(d*k^2 -b)/(k^2 -1)]

For K greater than 1, the center lies closer to z2 and the other way around for z1.

So I can compare which one lies closer and hence should be in the interior, but I can't calculate the radius (very complex to solve) so I can't tell if there will be cases when both z1 and z2 are inside/outside/on the circle.

What is an Argand plane graph?

An Argand plane graph is a type of two-dimensional graph used in complex analysis to represent complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with the origin (0,0) at the center. Complex numbers are represented as points on this graph, with the real part of the number plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part plotted on the y-axis.

How is an Argand plane graph used in mathematics?

In mathematics, an Argand plane graph is used to visualize complex numbers and their properties, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps in understanding concepts such as modulus, argument, and conjugate of complex numbers. It is also used to solve equations involving complex numbers and to represent complex functions graphically.

What are the benefits of using an Argand plane graph?

An Argand plane graph provides a visual representation of complex numbers, making it easier to understand their properties and relationships. It also helps in solving complex equations and graphically representing complex functions. Additionally, it allows for geometric interpretations of complex operations, making it a useful tool in learning and teaching complex analysis.

What are the key features of an Argand plane graph?

The key features of an Argand plane graph include the horizontal x-axis, vertical y-axis, and the origin (0,0) at the center. It also has gridlines to aid in plotting and locating complex numbers. The modulus and argument of a complex number can be determined by using the distance from the origin and the angle with the positive x-axis, respectively.

How is an Argand plane graph related to the complex plane?

The Argand plane graph and the complex plane are essentially the same. Both have a horizontal x-axis, vertical y-axis, and the origin (0,0) at the center. However, the complex plane also includes the real and imaginary axes, and the Argand plane is a specific representation of the complex plane that is used in complex analysis.