Physics Textbooks with complete solutions

In summary: Thanks for your input! I'll definitely check out those books when we start with thermodynamics. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a physics textbook with plenty of examples and complete solutions.
Centaur
I am wondering if there are some nice Physics textbooks with complete worked out solutions in them. I don't mean those books with just questions and answers.

If there isn't a book available like that, then a Physics textbook with plenty of examples in them would also be awesome.

A physics textbook with both plenty of examples and worked out answers, would be awesome.

I know that you get a lot of Physics textbooks that focus on one area in particular, like Optics by Hecht (which does include complete solutions to some extend). But I am looking for one of those general cover-all areas Physics textbooks, like Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Stewart, however one with more examples and complete answers.

Also the problems must be mostly calculus based. Since a lot of these questions and answers books, contain a lot of non-calculus based problems and only a few that need calculus.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If your problems are calculus based then surely you should be looking for a calulus textbook?

Most 'all round' physics textbooks I've seen have been pretty terrible imo.
For mechanics I'd reccomend Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel Kleppner
I'm not really sure what other books to reccomend on the other areas since most intro level ones I've seen have been all round books :(

My problems aren't with the calculus. What I meant is that the physics textbook should be calculus based, not like those high school textbooks.

What good introductory textbooks do you then recommend for the following topics, that fill my requirements:
Optics (already got the one from Hecht from the library)
Thermodynamics
Mechanics (more General Relativity)
Nuclear Physics
And really basic Modern Physics

Thanks

I'm not aware of a physics book that contains the answers to every problem.

My favorite undergraduate introductory physics textbook is Physics (volumes 1 and 2) by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane. It's calculus-based and it goes slightly deeper than the typical introductory textbooks.

Also depending on your current level of physics and mathematics, Hecht's Optics might be slightly too much at the moment and you probably won't find General Relativity in an introductory textbook.

Ok, thanks for the help. Seems like asking for more examples and complete solutions are too much. We are using Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Stewart for our physics classes. However, I have realized that it doesn't contain the info that I need or the derivations that the Lecturer uses. Optics by Hecht is actually very nice. I find these "one-topic" textbooks much more detailed. In the physics book by Stewart, they have a lot of problems, but, they don't reflect how the lecturers ask their questions.

What good books are out there with plenty of examples. Because, the book by Stewart have the weirdest examples and problems, if you compare it to the questions in tuts, etc.

Otherwise, a nice concise book would also be awesome, because the book by Stewart is super verbose. If I really need an explanation then I would use Feynman's Lectures physics books.

Thanks

Centaur said:
My problems aren't with the calculus. What I meant is that the physics textbook should be calculus based, not like those high school textbooks.

What good introductory textbooks do you then recommend for the following topics, that fill my requirements:
Optics (already got the one from Hecht from the library)
Thermodynamics
Mechanics (more General Relativity)
Nuclear Physics
And really basic Modern Physics

Thanks

I've never taken much of an interest to optics, so I can't reccomend anythnig there, I can reccomend a book for thermodynamics though;
Introduction to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics - Keith Stowe

You'll need to know about partial derivatives and the likes for that though but most of it has pretty simple maths.

If you're just starting calculus based physics, general relativity, nuclear physics and modern physics are really too advanced for you atm. You'll need to know about some pretty tricky calculus, differential geometry, tensors, group theory, linear algebra and all kinds of mathematical goodies.
I'd reccomend;
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Mary Boas
To get you stared on the maths, but you'll still need to know more advanced material after that, but you should know where to go once you've finished that book.

Most of the sections on GR, nuclear physics and modern physics in introduction books do more harm than good imo.

If you want to start on the mystical journey of relativity and quantum mechanics on any meaningful level, you really need to learn your maths first. I'm a strong supporter of the idea of learning a lot of maths before you even start thinking about applying it to physics.

Will have a look at that book when we start with thermodynamics. We have already done or will have done a big part of the math that's needed, when we start with the other topics. Like multivariable and vector calculus.

I only really started understanding Newtonian mechanics, when I did it in applied math with using calculus. I feel that these broken down equations just make it more difficult to understand for me. So I prefer a physics type textbook that is more leaning on the maths side of things.

Take a look at the Schaum's outline series. They summarize the physics (although it's not quite a textbook) and havelots of worked out problems.

Well, how good is your german?
There is a series about theoritical physics by Wolfgang Nolting.
It covers classical, analytical mechanics,
electrodynamics(+static)
Srt
quantummechanics
statistical physics
and many body physics

Each book has over 100 solved problems, but i don't think there is a translated version

1. What is the purpose of a physics textbook with complete solutions?

A physics textbook with complete solutions is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of key concepts and problem-solving techniques in physics. It includes step-by-step solutions to practice problems and exercises found in the textbook, allowing students to check their work and gain a deeper understanding of the material.

2. How can a physics textbook with complete solutions benefit students?

A physics textbook with complete solutions can benefit students in several ways. It can help them grasp difficult concepts, improve their problem-solving skills, and prepare them for exams. Additionally, having access to complete solutions can reduce frustration and increase confidence in their understanding of the material.

3. Are physics textbooks with complete solutions only for beginners?

No, physics textbooks with complete solutions can be beneficial for students at all levels, from beginners to advanced. They can serve as a helpful reference for students who need additional practice or clarification on certain topics, regardless of their level of expertise.

4. Can using a physics textbook with complete solutions replace studying?

No, using a physics textbook with complete solutions should not replace studying. It is meant to supplement studying and provide additional practice and understanding of the material. It is important for students to actively engage with the material and use the textbook as a tool to enhance their learning.

5. Is it necessary to purchase a physics textbook with complete solutions if the textbook already has practice problems?

This ultimately depends on the individual student and their learning style. Some students may find it helpful to have access to complete solutions, while others may not need it. It is important to consider the value and benefits of having complete solutions available when deciding whether to purchase a textbook with complete solutions.