Simulating lateral accelerations in a fuel tank test

In summary, the question is about finding the angle required to tilt a 5 litre fuel tank on the lateral and longitudinal axis in order to simulate a 1.5g lateral force. The attempt at a solution involves using inclined slope problems, but this does not account for the lateral force being greater than the hypotenuse. Videos of the rig being created are also mentioned.
Nash7
1. Homework Statement [We have a 5 litre rectangular fuel tank which when full of fuel will weigh 3.7kg, I need to simulate the affect off the car pulling 1.5g in the corner by tilting the fuel tank on the lateral and longitudinal axis. What angle would be required to achieve the same affect as 1.5g in a corner

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [I have tried working from inclined slope type problems in mechanics however this tends to have gravity as the resultant force , therefore the lateral force can't be 1.5g as then one side of the triangle would be larger than the hypotenuse.]

There are two videos which show the rough type of rig I'm creating.

Regards
Richard Nash

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nash7 said:
1. Homework Statement [We have a 5 litre rectangular fuel tank which when full of fuel will weigh 3.7kg, I need to simulate the affect off the car pulling 1.5g in the corner by tilting the fuel tank on the lateral and longitudinal axis. What angle would be required to achieve the same affect as 1.5g in a corner

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [I have tried working from inclined slope type problems in mechanics however this tends to have gravity as the resultant force , therefore the lateral force can't be 1.5g as then one side of the triangle would be larger than the hypotenuse.]

There are two videos which show the rough type of rig I'm creating.

Regards
Richard Nash

Presumably you're just looking for the angle away from vertical of the net acceleration vector. If the 1.5 g acceleration is outward (horizontal) and the gravitational acceleration is always vertical, find the appropriate angle of the resultant.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of simulating lateral accelerations in a fuel tank test?

The purpose of simulating lateral accelerations in a fuel tank test is to evaluate the structural integrity and safety of the fuel tank under different driving conditions. This helps to ensure that the fuel tank can withstand the lateral forces that may be experienced during vehicle operation, such as sharp turns or sudden swerving.

2. How are lateral accelerations simulated in a fuel tank test?

Lateral accelerations can be simulated in a fuel tank test by using a shaker table or a centrifuge. The fuel tank is mounted on the equipment and subjected to controlled lateral movements, replicating the forces experienced during vehicle operation. The amplitude and frequency of the lateral movements can be adjusted to simulate different driving conditions.

3. What are the potential risks associated with lateral accelerations in a fuel tank?

The main risk associated with lateral accelerations in a fuel tank is the potential for fuel leakage. If the fuel tank is not able to withstand the lateral forces, it may develop cracks or other structural damage that could lead to fuel leakage. This can pose a fire hazard and compromise the safety of the vehicle and its occupants.

4. What factors are considered when conducting a fuel tank test with simulated lateral accelerations?

When conducting a fuel tank test with simulated lateral accelerations, factors such as the size and shape of the fuel tank, the type of fuel being used, and the expected driving conditions must be taken into consideration. The test should also comply with safety regulations and standards to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. How are the results of a fuel tank test with simulated lateral accelerations analyzed?

The results of a fuel tank test with simulated lateral accelerations can be analyzed through various methods, such as visual inspection, non-destructive testing, and computer simulations. The data collected during the test can also be compared to industry standards and previous test results to determine the performance and safety of the fuel tank.

Back