Can I prove spontaneity using the entropy change?

In summary, the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of the universe always increases. This means that for any spontaneous process, the change in entropy of the universe (ΔSuni) is greater than zero. However, for reversible processes, the change in entropy of the universe is equal to zero. This leads to the conclusion that no process can be both reversible and spontaneous at the same time.The relationship between free energy (ΔG) and spontaneity is derived from the second law of thermodynamics. The formula for ΔG reflects the trade offs between the entropy of the system and the entropy of the surroundings. By considering the change in enthalpy and temperature of the surroundings, it can be shown that for a
Bipolarity
According to the second law of thermodynamics, for any spontaneous process,
[itex] \Delta S_{uni}> 0 [/itex] .

And for any reversible process,
[itex] \Delta S_{uni}= 0 [/itex] .

This means that no process can be reversible and spontaneous at the same time.

However, what I don't understand is the connection to [itex]\Delta G [/itex]. Suppose I know that [itex] \Delta S_{uni}> 0 [/itex], i.e. the process is spontaneous. Can I use this equation to prove that for the system in question, [itex]\Delta G < 0[/itex]. ? Using only the definition of the terms and knowing that the process is spontaneous?

Thanks!

BiP

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The relationship ΔG <= 0 (i.e. that reactions seek to minimize their free energy) is derived from the second law of thermodynamics (specifically for the case of a reaction occurring at constant pressure). The second law states that the entropy of the universe is always increasing. There are two components to the entropy of the universe which we must consider, the entropy of the system and the entropy of the surroundings. By splitting the entropy of the universe into these two components, we can write the second law as follows:

ΔSuni = ΔSsys + ΔSsurr >= 0

From this equation, we can see that there will be trade offs between the entropy of the system and the entropy of the surroundings. In order for the system to lose entropy and become more ordered, the surroundings must gain entropy to compensate and vice versa.

The formula for the Gibbs free energy reflects these trade offs between the entropy of the system and the entropy of the surroundings. Recall that for a reaction occurring at constant pressure, the change in enthalpy is equal to the amount of heat released/absorbed by the system, ΔH = q. Further, remember that the change in enthalpy of the surroundings is given by the following formula: ΔSsurr = q/Tsurr. Therefore, the quantity ΔH/Tsurr will tell you about the change in entropy of the surroundings.

Given that ΔSsurr = -ΔH/Tsurr, we can plug this value into our expression for the entropy of the universe to give:

ΔSuni = ΔSsys + ΔSsurr = ΔSsys - ΔH/Tsurr

Applying the second law, we obtain the inequality:

ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0

Or, equivalently:

ΔH - TΔS <= 0

Which is exactly the equation that explains why spontaneous reactions tend to minimize their free energy.

I see, thank you but there are still a few things I don't get. ΔSsurr = -ΔH/Tsurr, isn't this only true for reversible processes? Why are we allowed to use it here? I thought we were dealing with a process that we assumed to be irreversible (i.e. universe's entropy must rise).

Also, I can't seem to fllow ΔSuni = ΔSsys + ΔSsurr = ΔSsys - ΔH/Tsurr to ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0. Yes it's just plugging everything in, but doesn't that mean the Gibbs Free Energy is defined in terms of the temperature of the surroundings? When you write ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0, are you specifically referring to the temperature of surrounding, or temperature of system? Or are they the same thing?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
I see, thank you but there are still a few things I don't get. ΔSsurr = -ΔH/Tsurr, isn't this only true for reversible processes? Why are we allowed to use it here? I thought we were dealing with a process that we assumed to be irreversible (i.e. universe's entropy must rise).

Also, I can't seem to fllow ΔSuni = ΔSsys + ΔSsurr = ΔSsys - ΔH/Tsurr to ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0. Yes it's just plugging everything in, but doesn't that mean the Gibbs Free Energy is defined in terms of the temperature of the surroundings? When you write ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0, are you specifically referring to the temperature of surrounding, or temperature of system? Or are they the same thing?

BiP

ΔSsurr = -q/Tsurr should be true for all processes. ΔSsys = q/Tsurr is true only for reversible processes.

Yes, you are correct that, in my derivation, the T in ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0 refers to the temperature of the surroundings whereas the ΔS and ΔH refer to the entropy and enthalpy of the system. Perhaps another assumption required for the ΔG < 0 proof is that the system is in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings (Tsurr = Tsys), but I'll have to check my chemistry texts to make sure.

Last edited:
Ygggdrasil said:
ΔSsurr = -q/Tsurr should be true for all processes. ΔSsys = -q/Tsurr is true only for reversible processes.

Yes, you are correct that, in my derivation, the T in ΔS - ΔH/T >= 0 refers to the temperature of the surroundings whereas the ΔS and ΔH refer to the entropy and enthalpy of the system. Perhaps another assumption required for the ΔG < 0 proof is that the system is in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings (Tsurr = Tsys), but I'll have to check my chemistry texts to make sure.

Ah I see! Thank you so much! But why should ΔSsurr = -q/Tsurr should be true for all processes? I'm sorry but I think I some basic mental gap in my understanding of entropy. Exactly when do you know whether you can use the Q/T definition and when you can not? Sorry if it's dumb question!

BiP

dSsys = dqrev/T is always true, where dqrev represents the heat transferred from the surroundings to the system reversibly.

dSsurr = -dq/Tsurr is always true, even if the system undergoes an irreversible change. This happens because we assume the surroundings are an infinitely large heat sink, so any heat transferred to/from the surrounds will not change the properties of the surroundings. Thus, heat absorption/release from the surroundings will always be reversible.

Last edited:
Ygggdrasil said:
dSsys = dqrev/T is always true, where dqrev represents the heat transferred from the surroundings to the system reversibly.

dSsurr = -dq/Tsurr is always true, even if the system undergoes an irreversible change. This happens because we assume the surroundings are an infinitely large heat sink, so any heat transferred to/from the surrounds will not change the properties of the surroundings. Thus, heat absorption/release from the surroundings will always be reversible.

I see! Thanks!~

BiP

1. Can entropy change be used to prove spontaneity?

Yes, entropy change can be used as a measure of spontaneity in a chemical reaction. A positive change in entropy indicates that the reaction is spontaneous, whereas a negative change in entropy indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous.

2. How is entropy related to spontaneity?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In spontaneous reactions, the system tends to increase in disorder, resulting in a positive change in entropy. Non-spontaneous reactions, on the other hand, tend to decrease in disorder, resulting in a negative change in entropy.

3. Can entropy change be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, entropy change, along with enthalpy change, can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If the total change in entropy and enthalpy is positive, the reaction will be spontaneous in the forward direction. If the total change is negative, the reaction will be spontaneous in the reverse direction.

4. Are there any limitations to using entropy change to prove spontaneity?

Yes, there are some limitations to using entropy change as a measure of spontaneity. For example, entropy change does not take into account the speed of the reaction or the activation energy. It also cannot be used to predict the rate of the reaction.

5. How does temperature affect entropy change and spontaneity?

Temperature has a significant effect on both entropy change and spontaneity. An increase in temperature typically leads to an increase in entropy change, making the reaction more spontaneous. However, this relationship can be affected by other factors such as the enthalpy change and the nature of the reactants and products.