Conduction - Heat Equation - Units Don't Add Up

In summary, the conversation is about a person's question regarding using the heat equation to calculate heating rates, temperature profiles, and cooling rates. The issue they are facing is that their heat input term is in watts or watts/m^2 instead of watts/m^3, causing inconsistent units in the equation. They are also discussing a possible mistake in the formulation of the problem and considering using Neumann boundary conditions.
chrissimpson
Conduction - Heat Equation - Units Don't Add Up!

Hi there

I have what I think/hope is a simple question:

I've been working on heat inputs and outputs in inertia friction welds and have managed to produce a net power term (W) as a function of time.

I now want to use that in the heat equation to come up with heating rates, temperature profiles and final cooling rates (these can then be related back to the final weld microstructure).

So, the equation I wish to use is:

ut-αuxx=(α/κ)*f(x,t) - a non-homogeneous pde

The problem I'm having with this is that my heat input term is in watts or watts/m^2, not watts/m^3. This is because my heat input is coming from one surface into a long/infinite length bar. When heat generation is in watts/m^3 you get consistent units of K/s throughout the equation. I don't!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org

I think that I may have made a mistake with my formulation of the problem; I actually have a non-homogeneous boundary condition, so:

ut=αuxx

with Neumann boundary conditions of:

ux(0,t)=Q/kA - with both sides having units of K/m

ux(L,t)=0

Does this seem like the correct way of looking at the problem?

Cheers

Chris

What is the Conduction-Heat Equation?

The Conduction-Heat Equation is a mathematical representation of the transfer of heat through a medium, such as a solid material. It is based on the principles of conduction, which is the transfer of heat through a material by direct contact between molecules.

Why are units important in the Conduction-Heat Equation?

Units are important in the Conduction-Heat Equation because they allow for consistency and accuracy in calculations. The equation involves various physical quantities such as temperature, length, and time, which must have the same units for the equation to be valid.

What are the units used in the Conduction-Heat Equation?

The units used in the Conduction-Heat Equation depend on the specific form of the equation being used, but they typically include units of length, time, temperature, and thermal conductivity. For example, the most common form of the equation is q = -kAΔT/Δx, where q is heat transfer rate (in watts), k is thermal conductivity (in watts per meter-kelvin), A is cross-sectional area (in square meters), ΔT is temperature difference (in kelvin), and Δx is distance (in meters).

What happens if the units in the Conduction-Heat Equation don't add up?

If the units do not add up in the Conduction-Heat Equation, it means that there is an error in the calculations. This could be due to incorrect unit conversions, missing units, or using different units for the same physical quantity. It is important to always double-check the units in the equation to ensure accuracy.

How can the Conduction-Heat Equation be applied in real-world situations?

The Conduction-Heat Equation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the rate of heat loss in a building, predicting the temperature distribution in a heated object, or determining the thermal conductivity of a material. It is a fundamental equation in the field of thermodynamics and is used in many engineering and scientific applications.