What is the strongest known bendable material?

• Thread starter magic9mushroo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: I don't know if they would be usable as a string for a crossbow. Stronger materials like Zylon or Kevlar would be better choices.
magic9mushroo
By "bendable" I mean "you can run it through a pulley and it retains tension", and by "strong" I refer to tensile yield strength.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon nano-tubes I suppose - could you provide some context, though?

russ_watters said:
Carbon nano-tubes I suppose - could you provide some context, though?

Strongest crossbow string, basically.

So is Zylon usable as rope/flexible string?

Don't know. I have only seen it used soaked with epoxy to reinforce high-field magnets. Off the spool the stuff is a bit ... hairy, so for a string you'd have to insert it into some kind of shell, the way climbing ropes are built.

The question seems odd - a crossbow isn't that demanding of an application, so you really don't need anything close to the strongest.

russ_watters said:
The question seems odd - a crossbow isn't that demanding of an application, so you really don't need anything close to the strongest.

That depends on the draw weight. There isn't really a limit on how stiff you can make the prods, after all. I was trying to work out if you could build a 10 ton draw-weight crossbow.

Ive seen this done, some guys I worked with years ago built a crossbow based on plans for a trigger they found online. They used a leaf spring from an old van and a 10t cable as the string. The arrow was 20mm dia stainless rod, with a ground tungsten carbide tip brazed on the end. Long story short, it needed to be cocked with the overhead crane and fired from a vice, it shot straight through a solid brick wall, then it was declared evil and promptly dismantled.

Carbon nanotubes

1. What is the strongest known bendable material?

The strongest known bendable material is graphene, a 2D carbon material that is 200 times stronger than steel and can be bent and stretched without breaking.

2. How is graphene able to be both strong and bendable?

Graphene's strength and bendability come from its unique atomic structure, which consists of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. This structure allows for the material to be both strong and flexible.

3. What makes graphene stronger than other materials?

Graphene's strength comes from its carbon-carbon bonds, which are one of the strongest bonds in nature. Additionally, its 2D structure allows for more efficient load distribution, making it stronger than other materials.

4. Can other materials be as strong and bendable as graphene?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new materials that have similar properties to graphene. Some promising candidates include carbon nanotubes, boron nitride, and molybdenum disulfide. However, graphene remains the strongest known bendable material.

5. What are the potential applications of graphene's strength and bendability?

Graphene's unique properties make it a highly desirable material for a wide range of applications, including electronics, energy storage, and medical devices. It has the potential to revolutionize industries and improve various technologies due to its strength and flexibility.