Want to be an EE but not good at math

• Thread starter tackyattack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: I took an EE course in college and it was very intense. Math and otherwise. Math helps you with abstract reasoning and I think abstract reasoning is key to EE. I think a good start maybe to try to understand the math underlying the project you have worked on. Check out an EE textbook and then try to apply some of the basic principles in relation to the circuits you have built. Try to diagnose the circuit. Keep working hard and you can do it.From my point of view, you are experimenting math anxiety. Often, knowing the problem is enough to help you getting through your fear. If not, ask for help from someone who understands the problem (parent, teacher, tutor, etc.).
tackyattack
Hello, I am currently a freshman in High School and want to major in Electrical Engineering. I have been building stuff since I was six. I have made my own PCBs, electrical circuits, programmed in BASIC and C#, worked with microcontrollers like the Attiny2313, and built many complex things like SD card writers. I REALLY REALLY want to become an EE. But, I can not do math. I have been trying, and trying to get good at math, but I just can't. I know you have to be extremely good at math in order to become any type of engineer. Every time I think about wanting to become an EE and how bad I am at math, I get very sad.

Is it still possible for me to become an EE? Or will my low math skills keep me from ever becoming an EE?

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to be good at math to be get an EE degree. EE degrees are tough, and there's a lot of math involved.

But there's good news. You are a freshman. Just practice and study and see how you are in a few years.

It is a little to early to really be able to tell how good you are at math. Just keep working at it.

I took an EE course in college and it was very intense. Math and otherwise. Math helps you with abstract reasoning and I think abstract reasoning is key to EE.

I think a good start maybe to try to understand the math underlying the project you have worked on. Check out an EE textbook and then try to apply some of the basic principles in relation to the circuits you have built. Try to diagnose the circuit.

Keep working hard and you can do it.

From my point of view, you are experimenting math anxiety. Often, knowing the problem is enough to help you getting through your fear. If not, ask for help from someone who understands the problem (parent, teacher, tutor, etc.).

I cannot believe you can do programming and are not good in math. Programming is based purely on math!

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
-A. Einstein

jack action said:
I cannot believe you can do programming and are not good in math. Programming is based purely on math!

Most real world computer programming only requires simple logic and the ability to count. (And judging by some of the bugs in commercial software, neither logic or counting are mandatory qualifications for doing the job!)

To the OP: there is nothing "wrong" with being better at practiical work rather than theory. In the UK, some of the big engineering companies run highly regarded apprenticeship schemes (and the competition for places on them is just as intense as getting places at the top universities) which can lead to very satisfying (and well paid) career working "hands on" with a lot of high tech equipment. Those guys are just as essential as the university-trained engineers when developing new products etc.

You might want to check out if something similar is available in your country.

1. Can I still pursue a career in electrical engineering if I am not good at math?

Yes, it is possible to become an electrical engineer even if you struggle with math. While strong math skills are important in this field, there are other skills and qualities that can also make you successful, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail.

2. How can I improve my math skills for electrical engineering?

There are various ways to improve your math skills, such as enrolling in a math course, working with a tutor, or practicing regularly. It may also be helpful to find resources specifically geared towards electrical engineering, as the math concepts used in this field can differ from traditional math courses.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other engineers if I am not good at math?

While strong math skills are beneficial for an electrical engineer, it is not the sole determining factor of success. You can still excel in this field by focusing on developing other skills and utilizing resources and tools to help with math-related tasks.

4. Are there any alternative career paths for someone interested in electrical engineering but not strong in math?

Yes, there are alternative career paths that are related to electrical engineering but may not require as strong of a math background. These can include technical writing, project management, or working in sales or marketing for electrical engineering companies.

5. Can I still be a successful electrical engineer if I use tools and software to assist with math calculations?

Yes, many engineers use tools and software to assist with math calculations and it is a common practice in the field. It is important to have a basic understanding of the math concepts, but utilizing tools can help save time and reduce errors in complex calculations.