Fundamental Group of the Torus-Figure 8

In summary, the conversation revolved around the homomorphism induced by the inclusion of the Figure 8 into the Torus and why it is surjective. The fundamental groups of both the Figure 8 and the Torus were discussed, as well as the possibility of a homomorphism between them. The concept of representing a torus as a square with identifications was also mentioned. The idea that any loop on the boundary of the torus is a loop of the figure 8 was brought up, and the conversation concluded with the assertion that the homomorphism induced by the inclusion is surjective.
sammycaps
So I'm revamping the question I had posted here, after a bit of work.

I'm concerned with the homomorphism induced by the inclusion of the Figure 8 into the Torus, and why it is surjective. There seem to be a lot of semi-explanations, but I just wanted to see if the one I thought of makes sense.

So, we know that the fundamental group of the Figure 8 is isomorphic to the free product on 2 generators (i.e. of two copies of the integers), and the fundamental group on the torus is isomorphic to the cartesian product of two copies of the integers.

So, I don't know if there is a homomorphism j* such that this diagram commutes, for f and g isomorphisms from above, but if there is then this diagram commutes,

[itex]\pi[/itex]1(Figure 8) [itex]\stackrel{i*}{\longrightarrow}[/itex] [itex]\pi[/itex]1(Torus)
[itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]f\downarrow[/itex][itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]g\downarrow[/itex]
[itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]*[itex]Z[/itex][itex]\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]\stackrel{j*}{\longrightarrow}[/itex] [itex]\:[/itex][itex]Z×Z[/itex]

And then we can do something from there.

Is that going somewhere, or not at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
would n't you represent a torus as a square with identifications, then push off any loop in the square onto the boundary?

mathwonk said:
would n't you represent a torus as a square with identifications, then push off any loop in the square onto the boundary?

So, any loop is homotopic to a loop on the boundary? And then any loop on the boundary is a loop of the figure 8? So then would we say the homomorphism induced by inclusion is [itex]i*([a])=[i\circ a]=[a][/itex], so then this induced homomorphism is surjective?

sammycaps said:
So, any loop is homotopic to a loop on the boundary? And then any loop on the boundary is a loop of the figure 8? So then would we say the homomorphism induced by inclusion is [itex]i*([a])=[i\circ a]=[a][/itex], so then this induced homomorphism is surjective?

you can think of the torus as a figure 8 with a disk attached. The boundary of the disk is attached to the loop aba[itex]^{-1}[/itex]b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] on the figure 8. This is what Mathwonk is saying.

Van kampen's Theorem then gives you the result you are looking for.

BTW: Think about the same ideas for tori with more than one handle.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ

I can say that your approach is certainly on the right track. The key concept here is that of a homomorphism, which is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a group. In this case, we are looking at the fundamental groups of two topological spaces - the Figure 8 and the Torus - and trying to understand how they are related.

Your diagram shows the homomorphism i* induced by the inclusion map from the Figure 8 into the Torus. This means that if we take a loop in the Figure 8 and map it into the Torus, the resulting loop in the Torus will have the same algebraic structure as the original loop. In other words, the fundamental group of the Figure 8 is a subgroup of the fundamental group of the Torus.

Your next step is to consider the homomorphism j* from the free product of two copies of the integers to the Cartesian product of two copies of the integers. This homomorphism essentially combines the two generators of the free product into a single generator in the Cartesian product. This is important because it allows us to see that the fundamental group of the Figure 8 - which is isomorphic to the free product of two copies of the integers - is a subgroup of the fundamental group of the Torus - which is isomorphic to the Cartesian product of two copies of the integers.

So, in essence, your idea of using homomorphisms to understand the relationship between the fundamental groups of the Figure 8 and the Torus is a valid approach. It allows us to see that the inclusion map is surjective, meaning that every element in the fundamental group of the Torus has a corresponding element in the fundamental group of the Figure 8. This helps us understand why the fundamental group of the Torus is a "bigger" group than the fundamental group of the Figure 8, as it contains all the elements of the Figure 8 and more.

In conclusion, your approach is a good start and can definitely lead to a better understanding of the homomorphism induced by the inclusion of the Figure 8 into the Torus. Keep exploring and asking questions, as that is the essence of scientific inquiry.

What is the fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8?

The fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 is a mathematical concept that describes the possible paths or loops that can be made on the surface of a torus with a figure 8 shape cut out of it. It is denoted by π1(T-F8) and is a fundamental group of the 2-dimensional manifold T-F8.

How is the fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 calculated?

The fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 can be calculated using the fundamental group theorem, which states that the fundamental group of a space is isomorphic to the group of deck transformations of its universal cover. In simpler terms, it involves finding all the possible ways to wrap a string around the Torus-Figure 8 and identifying which loops are equivalent.

What is the significance of the fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8?

The fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 has several important applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to classify and distinguish different topological spaces, and it is also used in the study of knots and surfaces. In physics, it has applications in string theory and the study of gauge theories.

What are the generators of the fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8?

The fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 has two generators, which can be represented by the loops around the holes of the figure 8. These loops can be labeled as a and b, and all other loops on the surface can be expressed as combinations of these two generators.

Is the fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 finite or infinite?

The fundamental group of the Torus-Figure 8 is an infinite group, as there are infinitely many ways to loop a string around the figure 8. However, it is a finitely presented group, meaning that it can be described by a finite set of generators and relations.