Exploring the Lifetimes of He S=1,0 States in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Sekonda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, Helium has two energy levels, one with a spin of 1, and the other with a spin of 0. The levels have different lifetimes, and the lifetime of a level is proportional to the energy of the level.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have question on Helium with one electron in it's ground state orbital 1s and the other in the 2s orbital. We have S=1 states reffering to the spin symmetric triplet state and S=0 reffering to the spin antisymmetric singlet state, due to quantum effects of the electron-electron interactions we find that the energy of S=1 state and S=0 states are split by the direct and exchange components of the energy correction.

We find that S=1 states, where the spins are parallel, have lower energies than S=0 states - not sure of the physical interpretation of this - I'm guessing it's just because it's energetically favourable to have parallel spins further apart than having opposing spins in the same orbital.

Anyway, the S=1 states and S=0 states have very different lifetimes but I'm not sure what is meant by 'lifetimes' and why the lifetimes are different?

Thanks for any help,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
there is an energy part due to spins containing S1.S2 which will give negative contribution to energy when spins are parallel and opposite for other.Can you tell where you have seen the lifetimes for them?(it is meant to be for decay)

Phys.Rev. 180 (69) 25-32
Phys.Rev.Lett. 26 (71) 681-684

23S1 -> 11S0 t=8000 sec
21S0 -> 11S0 t=19.5 msec

Have you seen it is for helium ion,it's o.k. for them.

I don't know value for helium ion, for hydrogen atom:
22S1/2 -> 12S1/2 t= 2 msec

Last edited:
ycheff said:
I don't know value for helium ion, for hydrogen atom:
I said that values are for helium ion,not for helium atom.

Hydrogen atom (H I) is analog of helium ion (He II).
For He II:
22S1/2 -> 12S1/2 t > 1 msec (Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc, 1962, v. 7, p. 258)

Oh no,I said For one electron atom it is useful.They are not for two electron atom as is helium atom.You seem to be more interested than O.P.

What are the He S=1,0 states?

The He S=1,0 states refer to the energy levels of helium atoms in which the electron has a specific spin value of either S=1 or S=0. These states are important in understanding the behavior and properties of helium atoms.

What factors affect the lifetimes of He S=1,0 states?

The lifetimes of He S=1,0 states can be affected by several factors, including external magnetic or electric fields, collisions with other particles, and the presence of impurities or defects in the surrounding environment.

How do the lifetimes of He S=1,0 states compare to each other?

The lifetimes of He S=1 states are generally longer than those of He S=0 states due to the difference in their energy levels. However, the exact values and ratios of these lifetimes can vary depending on the specific experimental conditions.

Why are the lifetimes of He S=1,0 states important to study?

Studying the lifetimes of He S=1,0 states can provide valuable information about the fundamental properties of helium atoms and their interactions with their surroundings. This knowledge can also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and atomic physics.

How are the lifetimes of He S=1,0 states measured?

Lifetimes of He S=1,0 states can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy or time-resolved measurements. These methods involve exciting the atoms to their respective states and observing the decay of the excited state over time.