Is a Whiteboard Feature Being Developed for Math and Physics Questions?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests adding a whiteboard or blackboard feature for math and physics questions, possibly to replace the use of LaTeX for equations. However, there are concerns about the usability and cost of such a feature, and the use of MS paint or a similar program is suggested as an alternative. Some participants also propose a web-based drawing program for easy and convenient use. Ultimately, the discussion highlights the need for a user-friendly and accessible solution for adding diagrams and equations to posts.
leroyjenkens
Hello, I just wanted to suggest maybe, if it's possible, a whiteboard (or blackboard) feature for math and physics questions and it will show up in the person's post with what they wrote, so they can write complicated looking equations with different symbols and stuff really easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have LaTeX for equations - what it generates is much more readable than what you could draw.

Borek said:
We have LaTeX for equations - what it generates is much more readable than what you could draw.

Yeah, I thought about sloppy handwriters, but Latex is kinda hard to use for some people, and it takes a while to figure out. I figured out how to use it for some things, but some other things I just couldn't get to work.

And it would allow users to draw circuits or other diagrams.

Last edited:
If we replace LaTeX with something else because some people don't want to take the time to learn how to use it, what guarantee is there that people won't want to take the time to learn how to use this other thing?

Vanadium 50 said:
If we replace LaTeX with something else because some people don't want to take the time to learn how to use it, what guarantee is there that people won't want to take the time to learn how to use this other thing?

It's not a replacement. It could be for people who rarely post equations, or don't have the time to figure out how to type up the equation. And it could be used for drawing diagrams, like circuits. I was going to ask a question about a circuit, but I don't know of any way to show the circuit, other than drawing it in MS paint and uploading the picture.
And if someone needs to be taught how to draw on a whiteboard, then I think they're on the wrong forum.

leroyjenkens said:
And if someone needs to be taught how to draw on a whiteboard, then I think they're on the wrong forum.

Have you ever tried drawing or writing freehand with a mouse?

Or do you expect other people to buy graphics tablets or computers with touch screens just so they can join in?

I recall one poster putting a whole bunch of greek letters and equations in his signature. From here, you have a convenient place to copy and paste without hunting down obscure characters.

Bamboo Connects are about $70: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/bamboo/bamboo-connect [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
AlephZero said:
Have you ever tried drawing or writing freehand with a mouse?

Or do you expect other people to buy graphics tablets or computers with touch screens just so they can join in?

Yeah, and while it's not perfect, it's not something that needs to be taught.
I just drew a circuit from one of my homework questions in MS paint and it took 1 minute. I'll upload it.
You don't need to be an artist to do this, so people won't be staring at the whiteboard, sidelined, wishing they could afford a graphics tablet.

Remember, this is just a suggestion. If you don't like it, just say so, but don't grasp at straws for reasons that the idea is absurd.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 424
^ is that 3.0A or 3.9A? You are very clear at other place.
But I believe most people aren't as fluent as you with mouse. I can't produce a single readable word with free hand mouse.
I think a better option would be WYSIWYG math input panel with lots of toolbars for symbols, but that is too expensive thing to ask for free.

This argument once came up over the use of APL. Prof Iverson (IBM) was giving a lecture on the advantages of APL when a GE engineer asked why we all had to buy a terminal with an arcane keyboard with all those funny greek letters.

Iverson just glared at the guy and said you expect me to design a language in a way compatible with YOUR keyboard which caused the GE engineer to slink down in his seat to hide from view.

(Think of the original Wizard of OZ movie: When the Wizard as a ball of fire spoke with the shaking tinman followed by the cowardly lion running from the hall)

I like the idea of a whiteboard where you can draw something to post. We interact with the world differently now and people are transitioning from desktop PC to tablet slowly but surely.

:::Dream mode on:::

It should also allow us to draw stuff in color and should have a text labeling capability..

and some links to go with the dream (its an internet connected dream):

http://mudcu.be/sketchpad/

http://smashinghub.com/10-best-html5-sketching-and-drawing-tools-for-designers.htm

:::Dream mode off:::

Anyone remember Kidpix?

flatmaster said:
I have just the software for this. It's intuitive, cheap, and readily available to everyone.

This was a waste of time! I thought we were talking about a web-based drawng program not MSPaint for Windows. Not everyone here uses windows.

For me the problem is I want to respond to a post with a drawing but I have to draw it, save it, upload it and then provide a link. Why can't a canvas appear and the drawing just added to the post.

Perhaps like Google's svg-edit:

http://svg-edit.googlecode.com/svn-history/r1771/trunk/editor/svg-editor.html [Broken]

leroyjenkens said:
Yeah, and while it's not perfect, it's not something that needs to be taught.

The same argument applies for the forum's Latex interface. It's not perfect, but people should learn it...

G01 said:
The same argument applies for the forum's Latex interface. It's not perfect, but people should learn it...

Ok, but what about for diagrams? Wouldn't a white board option be useful for that?

leroyjenkens said:
Ok, but what about for diagrams? Wouldn't a white board option be useful for that?

Yes, it would be very useful if there were some tool in PF with which to make diagrams or graphs. I think Greg is working on that.

I like the idea.

For now you can draw it on paper and scan it in, if you have a scanner. Or take a pic of it and upload it.

Or do it in Paint, like you said.

But those solutions are rather inelegant, imo.

Sometimes I'll use the Windows snipping tool after creating a graphic in Mathematica, easiet way I know.

I use LaTeX and Inkscape. Works great.

micromass said:
I think Greg is working on that.

Yes a graph solution is being worked on

1. How do I properly clean a whiteboard?

Cleaning a whiteboard is a simple process. First, use a dry erase board eraser or a clean, dry cloth to wipe away any writing. Then, use a whiteboard cleaner or a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to remove any stubborn marks. Wipe the board clean with a damp cloth and dry with a dry cloth or paper towel.

2. Can I use any type of marker on a whiteboard?

No, not all markers are suitable for use on whiteboards. Only use dry erase markers specifically designed for whiteboards. Avoid using permanent or water-based markers, as they can be difficult to remove and may damage the surface of the whiteboard.

3. How can I prevent ghosting on my whiteboard?

To prevent ghosting, or the faint residue of previous writing remaining on the board, make sure to use high-quality markers and clean the board regularly. You can also try using a whiteboard conditioner or eraser spray to remove any stubborn residue.

4. What should I do if my whiteboard is stained?

If your whiteboard is stained, try using a whiteboard cleaner or a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to remove the stain. For tougher stains, you can also try using a melamine foam eraser or a small amount of non-acetone nail polish remover. Always test a small area first before applying to the entire stain.

5. How long does a whiteboard last?

The lifespan of a whiteboard can vary depending on the quality of the board and how it is used and maintained. On average, a high-quality whiteboard can last anywhere from 5-10 years with proper care and maintenance. However, if the board becomes heavily stained or damaged, it may need to be replaced sooner.