Firefox Not Working: Shutdown during Update

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary: Sounds like my company. We have customer requirements to support Firefox but our company blocked the Firefox website for several years. Makes it difficult to test without breaking company rules.
Saladsamurai
So I was forced to shutdown Firefox while it was updating. Needless to say, it is not happy with me. I'm running Win7. I have tried the obvious things. Uninstalled FF including all customizations. I also deleted the folder in "Program Files." FF will start up, but nothing ever loads. I cannot go to any webpages (I gave it about 10-15 minutes just in case it was my internet). Internet Explorer is working, so I think my connection is OK.

Hopefully someone can help me out. IE is dismal :yuck:

Computer science news on Phys.org
IE is indeed dismal but FireFox is no walk in the park either, as you are finding out. Sounds like you've done all the right things. Wish I had some good advice. Good luck.

Switch to Google Chrome or Opera.

Borek said:
Switch to Google Chrome or Opera.

I would love to use Chrome, but I was instructed by IT to remove it from my system due to a security issue. We are forced to use IE 7 or FF. Not sure about Opera though.

Find "system restore" (probably in the start menu under accessories / system tools) and see if you have a system restore point before you broke it.

If so, restore to there and try the update again.

Then find out how to stop FF (and any other software) doing automatic updates. There's no problem about automatically notifying you there are updates available, but install them when you want, not whenever your computer feels like upgrading itself!

Hi All!

It turns out that the company that my company works for put out a block on FF.

Thanks anyway!

Saladsamurai said:
Hi All!

It turns out that the company that my company works for put out a block on FF.

Thanks anyway!
LOL. Sounds like my company. We have customer requirements to support Firefox but our company blocked the Firefox website for several years. Makes it difficult to test without breaking company rules. :rolleyes:

1. Why did Firefox shut down during an update?

There could be several reasons why Firefox shut down during an update. It could be due to a faulty internet connection, insufficient storage space on your device, or a conflict with another program or software.

2. How can I fix Firefox not working after a shutdown during an update?

The first step to fixing this issue is to try restarting your device and then opening Firefox again. If that doesn't work, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or reinstalling Firefox altogether.

3. Will I lose my bookmarks and saved information if I reinstall Firefox?

No, if you choose to reinstall Firefox, your bookmarks and saved information should remain intact. However, it's always a good idea to back up your bookmarks and important data before making any changes to your browser.

4. Can I prevent Firefox from shutting down during an update in the future?

Yes, you can prevent Firefox from shutting down during an update by disabling automatic updates. To do this, go to the Firefox menu, select "Options," then "General," and uncheck the box next to "Automatically install updates."

5. Is there a way to recover my tabs and browsing session after a shutdown during an update?

If you had multiple tabs open and Firefox shut down during an update, you may be able to recover your browsing session by going to the "History" menu and selecting "Restore Previous Session." This will open all the tabs and windows that were open before the update.