L2 norm of complex functions?

In summary: The properties of an inner product are that it is an associative operation, commutative operation, and has a distributive law.
divB
Hi,

I want to show:

[tex]
\|f-jg\|^2 = \|f\|^2 - 2 \Im\{<f,g>\} + \|g\|^2
[/tex]

However, as far as I understand, for complex functions [itex]<f,g> = \int f g^* dt[/itex], right? Therefore:

[tex]
\|f-jg\|^2 = <f-jg, f-jg> = \int (f-jg)(f-jg)^* dt = \int (f-jg)(f+jg) dt = \int f^2 + jfg - jfg + g^2 dt = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2
[/tex]

Where is my wrong assumption?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are f and g complex functions? Then you should write f = Re(f) + j Im(f), g = Re(g) + j Im(g).

Or are they just the real parts of a single function? Because then you've just shown that ||f||² = ||Re f||² + ||Im f||², which makes sense, right?

divB said:
[tex]
\int (f-jg)(f-jg)^* dt = \int (f-jg)(f+jg) dt
[/tex]
This one should be $$\int (f-jg)(f-jg)^* dt = \int (f-jg)(f^*+jg^*) dt.$$ But why use the definition of <,> at all? I assume that you have already proved that it's an inner product. So why not just use that?

Hi, thank you. Ok, no integrals, but only use <,>

I am again confused :(

[tex]\|v\|^2 = <v,v>[/tex], as far as I understand also for complex functions. But then, with using only the inner product, I have no chance to obtain an imaginary part only:

[tex]
\|f-jg\|^2 = <f-jg,f-jg> = <f,f-jg>-<jg,f-jg> \\
= <f,f> - <f,jg> - (<jg,f>-<jg,jg>) \\
= <f,f> - <f,jg> - <jg,f> + <jg,jg> \\
= <f,f> - j<f,g> - j<g,f> - <g,g>
= \|f\|^2 - 2j<f,g> - \|g\|^2
[/tex]

But [itex]2j<f,g>[/itex] is not [itex]2\Im<f,g>[/itex]...

What is <cf, g> and what is <f, cg> if c is a complex number?

divB said:
[tex]<f,f> - <f,jg> - <jg,f> + <jg,jg> \\
=<f,f> - j<f,g> - j<g,f> - <g,g>\\
= \|f\|^2 - 2j<f,g> - \|g\|^2
[/tex]
These steps are both wrong. What are the properties of an inner product on a complex vector space?

Last edited:

1. What is the L2 norm of a complex function?

The L2 norm of a complex function is a mathematical concept used to measure the length or magnitude of a function in a complex vector space. It is also known as the Euclidean norm or the 2-norm.

2. How is the L2 norm of a complex function calculated?

The L2 norm of a complex function is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of squared absolute values of the function's complex components. This can be represented mathematically as ||f||2 = √(∑|fi|²).

3. What is the significance of the L2 norm in complex analysis?

The L2 norm is an important tool in complex analysis as it allows for the measurement of the distance between complex functions in a vector space. It is also used in various mathematical applications, such as optimization and regression analysis.

4. How does the L2 norm differ from other types of norms?

The L2 norm differs from other types of norms, such as the L1 norm or the L∞ norm, in the way it calculates the magnitude of a function. The L2 norm takes into account the squared values of the function's components, resulting in a more sensitive measure of distance.

5. Can the L2 norm of a complex function be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the L2 norm can be extended to higher dimensions and used to measure the length of complex functions in complex vector spaces with more than two dimensions. This is known as the L2 norm of a complex vector.