Consequences of Leukocytosis in old age woman

• Medical
  • Thread starter AGNuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, your grandmother (age 76) was admitted to a hospital two weeks ago with a high white blood cell count. You are concerned about the potential consequences of this leukocytosis in her age, especially given her other medical issues such as a hernia, pelvic bone fracture, diabetes, and high blood pressure. However, you do not trust her doctors and are questioning their treatment methods, wondering if the leukocytosis could be caused by the medications they are administering. Ultimately, you suggest seeking a second opinion if you do not trust the current medical team.
AGNuke
Gold Member
My grandmother (age 76) was admitted to a hospital two weeks ago. One part of her diagnosis report caught my attention - her WBC count was 25000/μL of blood, which is more than thrice the optimal value. While the double value would be acceptable considering she is old and such, but I clearly do not trust those doctors there, siphoning money out of her.

What I want to know are the consequences of such leukocytosis in her age.

For the record, she has quite the problems on her part:
  1. She has a Hernia in stomach
  2. She has a fracture in pelvic bone (Probably greenstick)
  3. She has Diabetes, High BP
  4. She somewhat suffered some sort of temporary "flashback amnesia" (Probably due to increased sugar level after she was hospitalized)

Biology news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
My grandmother (age 76) was admitted to a hospital two weeks ago. One part of her diagnosis report caught my attention - her WBC count was 25000/μL of blood, which is more than thrice the optimal value. While the double value would be acceptable considering she is old and such, but I clearly do not trust those doctors there, siphoning money out of her.

What I want to know are the consequences of such leukocytosis in her age.

For the record, she has quite the problems on her part:
  1. She has a Hernia in stomach
  2. She has a fracture in pelvic bone (Probably greenstick)
  3. She has Diabetes, High BP
  4. She somewhat suffered some sort of temporary "flashback amnesia" (Probably due to increased sugar level after she was hospitalized)
A high white blood cell count is only an idication of a problem. If they do not know the cause, this could be the reason for hospitalization to do extensive testing.

I am sure that they just want to siphon off money. Before she was hospitalized, everything was normal. But they kept her in ICU needlessly for two weeks now. And furthermore, they are relentlessly administering her with adrenaline and anesthesia, which I am sure is quite overdone. Say, isn't this leukocytosis is because of those injections?

Obviously, we know nothing about your grandmother's medical condition, and even if we did, we cannot even begin to speculate about her condition. I suggest that if you don't trust her doctors, get a second opinion.

I understand your concern for your grandmother's health and the validity of her diagnosis. Leukocytosis, or an elevated white blood cell count, can have various causes and consequences in older adults. In your grandmother's case, it is important to consider her other health conditions and potential underlying causes of her leukocytosis.

Firstly, leukocytosis in older adults can be a sign of infection. Older adults are more susceptible to infections due to weakened immune systems, and this can lead to an increase in white blood cells as the body tries to fight off the infection. In your grandmother's case, her hernia and fracture may have put her at a higher risk for infections, especially if she had to undergo any procedures or surgeries related to these conditions.

Secondly, leukocytosis can also be a side effect of certain medications, such as steroids or antibiotics, which are commonly prescribed for conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. It is important to consider if your grandmother's medication regimen may have contributed to her elevated white blood cell count.

In addition, leukocytosis can also be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, such as leukemia or other blood disorders. It is important for her doctors to thoroughly investigate the cause of her leukocytosis, especially given her age and other health conditions.

The consequences of leukocytosis in older adults can vary depending on the underlying cause and the severity of the condition. In general, an elevated white blood cell count can put a strain on the body's immune system and increase the risk of complications, such as sepsis, in older adults. It is important for your grandmother to receive proper treatment and monitoring to prevent any potential complications.

In conclusion, leukocytosis in older adults, including your grandmother, can have various causes and consequences. It is important for her doctors to thoroughly investigate the underlying cause and provide appropriate treatment to prevent any potential complications. I recommend seeking a second opinion and advocating for your grandmother's health to ensure she receives the best care possible.

1. What is leukocytosis?

Leukocytosis is a condition where there is an abnormally high number of white blood cells (leukocytes) in the body. These cells are an important part of the immune system and help fight off infections and diseases.

2. What causes leukocytosis in old age women?

There are several potential causes of leukocytosis in older women, including infections, inflammation, medications, and certain diseases like leukemia or lymphoma. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the underlying cause.

3. What are the consequences of leukocytosis in old age women?

Leukocytosis can lead to a weakened immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight off infections. In older women, this can increase the risk of developing serious infections, pneumonia, or other complications. It can also be a sign of an underlying health issue that may require medical treatment.

4. How is leukocytosis treated in old age women?

The treatment for leukocytosis will depend on the underlying cause. Infections may be treated with antibiotics, while other conditions may require specific medications or therapies. In some cases, leukocytosis may resolve on its own without treatment.

5. Can leukocytosis in old age women be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent leukocytosis, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regularly monitoring for any changes in white blood cell count can help. It is also important to address any underlying health issues and follow recommended screening guidelines for diseases like cancer. Consulting with a healthcare professional can also provide personalized guidance for preventing or managing leukocytosis.