Register to reply

How exactly do generators work (Please explain the Faraday's law)

by UsualMan
Tags: faraday, generator, induction, magnet
Share this thread:
UsualMan
Apr14-13, 07:16 PM
P: 3
Hi, everybody!

I have done tons of research through the Internet, but still can't understand the Faraday's law and how a generator works.

I understand, that inside coils, placed into a rotating magnet, current is generated. But why? What exactly happens to electrons, so they form current? As I read, a static magnetic field influences on electrons only in such way that it changes their direction, but it isn't enough to make current. Why that is a rotating magnetic field, that creates current? How it impacts electrons in comparison to a constant magnetic field?

Will it be right, if I say, that in a rotating magnetic field electrons change their directions asymmetrically - so some electrons approach to other and repel them, thus accelerating their flow?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
russ_watters
Apr14-13, 07:24 PM
Mentor
P: 22,301
Welcome to PF!

It really is no more complicated than that because the electrons are charged, moving a magnet past them in a wire pushes them through the wire.
UsualMan
Apr14-13, 07:37 PM
P: 3
Thanks!

Register to reply