Register to reply

The Sounds of Wind and Water

by anorlunda
Tags: noise, spectrum, water, wind
Share this thread:
anorlunda
Jul2-13, 12:04 PM
P: 206
I just returned from a tenting trip. In a tent, one hears the sounds of night more plainly. I was struck by the fact that, try as I might, I can not distinguish the sounds of wind from those of running water. Specifically,
  1. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) in the forest.
  2. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) on a bare surface in the desert.
  3. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) in a rock canyon.
  4. A mountain stream with white water rapids. Water speed ~25 kt.
  5. A nearby waterfall.
  6. A river, much larger and deeper than the mountain stream but swift (~8 kt).

I should confess that my ears hear nothing above 3K hertz. Nevertheless, none of those noises sound to me similar to electronically generated white noise.

I am also a sailor, so I can report that at sea, the sounds of wind are always confused with the sounds of waves, so that I can't ask the same questions in that case.

I found a previous thread about wind noise on this forum. The answers provided had to do with vorticies. But I expect the mechanisms of noise production and transmission to be very different for wind and running water. I suspect that at least some of the water sounds are transmitted through the ground.

Are my perceptions correct; are the spectra of these diverse noise sources really so similar?

If yes, is it just coincidence or are there similarities in the noise production and transmission mechanisms?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?

Register to reply