How long do you expect transit to last?

• Thread starter duder1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transit
In summary: So in summary, there are two parts to this homework problem. In part a, the question is about the reduction in flux of a sun-like star caused by the transit of a transiting exoplanet with a diameter twice that of Earth. By using the given values and the formula for flux reduction, the answer is 0.03%. In part b, the question is about the duration of the transit. It is not specified if the transit happens through the centre, so it is assumed to do so. The formula for transit duration is used, which depends on the radius of the planet and the star, as well as the velocity. The velocity can be calculated using the formula for the period of the star's orbit. However, the addition
duder1234
I have a homework problem that I am having troubles with. There are 2 parts

A transiting exoplanet with a diameter twice that of the Earth orbits a sun-like star in a circular orbit of radius 1.5 AU

a) How much reduction in the flux of the star occurs during the transit?
Earth's diameter=Planet's radius (Rp) =8.5175×10-5 AU
And because it says a "sun-like" star, I used the same values as the sun for radius
Star's radius (Rs) =4.649×10-3 AU
And I can use the formula [itex]\frac{ΔF}{F}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{R^{2}_{p}}{R^{2}_{s}}[/itex]
By plugging in the values, i got 0.03% reduction in flux

b) How long do you expect the transit to last?
I am stuck on this one. I was not told the impact parameter b so do I assume that the transit happens through the centre?
or do I use the formula τ=[itex]\frac{2(Rp+Rs)}{V}[/itex]
where τ= transit duration, Rp=diameter of planet, Rs=diameter of star, V=velocity

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
duder1234 said:
b) How long do you expect the transit to last?
I am stuck on this one. I was not told the impact parameter b so do I assume that the transit happens through the centre?
I guess you have to assume this, yes. It is a bad problem statement, it should give this.

or do I use the formula τ=[itex]\frac{2(Rp+Rs)}{V}[/itex]
Why "or"? That is the right formula for a central transit.

Thanks for the reply!
I just want to check but I can get the velocity with the formula:[itex]V_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2πr_{s}}{P}[/itex] where P=Period and [itex]r_{s}[/itex]=radius of the star
and the period formula being [itex]P^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4π}{GM}a^{3}[/itex]
M=Mass of star, a=semi-major axis

If you add the radius of the planet to the stellar radius is a matter of taste, depending on the definition of "start" and "end" of transit. And this is an approximation that works if the orbital radius is much larger than the stellar radius only.

Apart from that, it looks fine.

I would first like to clarify that the duration of a transit depends on several factors such as the size and orbital distance of the planet, the size and brightness of the star, and the orientation of the planet's orbit. Therefore, the exact duration cannot be determined without knowing all these parameters. However, I can provide some insights based on the given information.

To calculate the transit duration, we need to know the orbital velocity of the planet, which can be calculated using Kepler's third law: V = √(GM/a), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and a is the orbital distance of the planet. Since we are given that the planet orbits a sun-like star, we can use the mass and orbital distance of the Sun, which are 1 solar mass (M☉) and 1.5 AU, respectively.

Using this information, we can calculate the orbital velocity of the planet to be approximately 29.8 km/s. Now, to calculate the transit duration, we can use the equation you mentioned, τ = 2(Rp + Rs)/V, where Rp is the planet's diameter and Rs is the star's diameter. As you correctly calculated, the planet's diameter is 8.5175×10-5 AU, which is equivalent to 12,738 km. For the star's diameter, we can use the given value of 4.649×10-3 AU, which is equivalent to 1,391,400 km.

By plugging in these values, we get a transit duration of approximately 6.6 hours. However, please keep in mind that this is just an estimate and the actual duration may differ depending on the factors mentioned earlier. I hope this helps you with your homework problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. How long do you expect transit to last?

The duration of transit can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of transit (e.g. public transportation, space travel, etc.), the distance being traveled, and the mode of transportation. It is important to consider factors such as traffic, weather conditions, and potential delays when estimating the length of transit.

2. Is there a maximum amount of time that transit can last?

The maximum duration of transit depends on the mode of transportation and the distance being traveled. For example, a flight from New York to Los Angeles may take up to 6 hours, while a journey to the moon can take several days. However, technological advancements are constantly improving the speed and efficiency of transportation, so these durations may decrease in the future.

3. How do you determine the length of transit for a specific trip?

The length of transit for a specific trip is typically determined by calculating the distance between the starting and ending points and factoring in the average speed of the chosen mode of transportation. Other factors such as stops, layovers, and potential delays may also be considered when estimating the length of transit.

4. Can transit last longer or shorter than expected?

Yes, transit can last longer or shorter than expected. As previously mentioned, various factors such as traffic, weather conditions, and delays can impact the duration of transit. Additionally, unexpected events or emergencies may also cause transit to last longer or shorter than originally planned.

5. How can I prepare for a long transit journey?

To prepare for a long transit journey, it is important to plan ahead and consider potential delays or layovers. It may also be helpful to bring along entertainment, snacks, and other items that can make the journey more comfortable. Staying hydrated and getting up to stretch and move around periodically can also help make a long transit journey more manageable.