Register to reply

Sound Wave, Microphone and Electromagnetic Induction

Share this thread:
wlng81
Nov14-13, 03:18 AM
P: 5
Dear all, I have encountered an issue in understanding how microphone works and I hope you guys can assist.

There are two scenarios involved.
In the first scenario, there is tuning fork and a microphone. The microphone contains a small disc attached to a magnet and a fixed coil. (Please refer to here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11353862@N02/10851144236/)
It is mentioned when the tuning fork vibrates, an alternating induced emf is induced in the coil.

In the second scenario, the tuning fork is replaced a source that produces a sound of greater loudness but the same pitch.

The question is: How will the amplitude of the induced emf change?

I had thought the magnitude induced emf should remain the same since the pitch (hence frequency -> rate of change of magnetic flux) was the same. But I also came across some audio websites saying the amplitude induced emf would increase.
As a result, I am utterly confused now...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Bobbywhy
Nov14-13, 04:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
Remember that the acoustic waves that propagate from the source (tuning fork) to the detector (microphone) are pressure waves. When they strike that disc they push and pull the magnet, which induces the current in the coil.

When the tuning fork is replaced with a louder source, the acoustic pressure waves will be (louder) stronger and so will push and pull that mechanism in the microphone with a greater force than the tuning fork did. So, the alternating current in the coil will be the same frequency, and a greater amplitude.
wlng81
Nov14-13, 10:46 PM
Hi Bobby, can I say that the frequency of the sound wave is reflected in the frequency of the induced current and the amplitude of the sound wave is reflected in the amplitude of the induced emf?

Bobbywhy
Nov14-13, 11:57 PM
PF Gold
Sound Wave, Microphone and Electromagnetic Induction

Yes and yes.
jtbell
Nov15-13, 05:50 AM
Mentor
P: 11,782
At least ideally. That's why some microphones are better (and more expensive) than others.
wlng81
Nov15-13, 06:07 PM
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
At least ideally. That's why some microphones are better (and more expensive) than others.
Out of curiosity, what are the factors that separate a good mic from a lousy one?
Bobbywhy
Nov15-13, 06:18 PM
PF Gold
Here is a non-technical general description of “Choosing the Right Microphone”:
http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/mi.../choosing.html

Here is a list of 18 characteristics of microphones with a technical explanation of what each specification means:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic...fications.aspx

Register to reply