Understanding the Memory Hierarchy and Its Impact on CPU Performance

In summary, the speed at which data is retrieved from memory can vary greatly depending on the location of the data in the memory hierarchy.
biferi
I just was thinking somebody may be able to help me understand something about Computers.

If I have a PC and the Memory in it is 1066 MHz I know the real Clock speed 533 MHz because DDR Dabbles the Data Rate.

And if I have a CPU that is 2 GHz it is running at 2,000 MHz now this is what I do not get.

My Memory of 533 MHz is going slower then the CPU of 2,000 MHz what am I not getting?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You must match the memory to the CPU. As you've found out the stuff just runs a lot slower.

A simplfied example is suppose it takes one second to get data from your memory. I ask for it and one second later it returns. My CPU however can execute code at one instruction in a third of a second. So I execute a load register command and the CPU has to wait 3 cycles ie 1 second before the data is ready to store in the register. So basically load instructions will take 3 cycles and other instructions will run 3 times faster.

With faster memory the load instructions will operate faster and the program runs quicker overall. This is a vast simplification but you can see the mismatch and how it affect instructions that must retrieve or store things in memory. This is why modern CPUs have highspeed cache memory to buffer the regular memory.

Here's one persons description of how it works:

http://www.directron.com/fsbguide.html

PC's running an operating system have a very complicated memory hierarchy. The instruction or data that you are trying to execute may be in RAM already, or it may be on disk, or it may in "in RAM but paged out to disk". Each of these cases has very different retrieval times. I suggest you get a basic book on computer architecture and read about the memory hierarchy and paging. The cache memory layers, their sizes and technologies, and whether virtual memory is being used, all will affect the kind of performance you get, as well as the particular stream of data and instructions you are trying to execute. There is not enough information in the above description to understand the issue very well.

1. How does CPU clock speed affect performance?

The CPU clock speed refers to the number of cycles a processor can perform in one second. A higher clock speed means that the CPU can execute more instructions per second, resulting in faster processing and better performance.

2. What is the relationship between CPU clock speed and RAM?

CPU clock speed and RAM are two different components that work together to determine the overall performance of a computer. While CPU clock speed affects how quickly instructions are processed, RAM (random access memory) stores data for the CPU to access. A faster CPU clock speed can benefit from having more RAM, as it allows for more data to be accessed and processed at a faster rate.

3. Can I increase the CPU clock speed on my computer?

In most cases, the CPU clock speed is determined by the hardware and cannot be manually changed. However, some computers may have the option to overclock the CPU, which involves increasing the clock speed beyond its factory settings. This can improve performance, but it also comes with potential risks such as overheating and hardware damage.

4. How much RAM do I need for my computer?

The amount of RAM needed for a computer depends on the intended use. For basic tasks like web browsing and word processing, 4-8 GB of RAM is typically sufficient. For more demanding tasks such as gaming or video editing, 16 GB or more may be necessary. It's important to check the minimum requirements for any software or games you plan to use to determine the appropriate amount of RAM.

5. Does increasing RAM also increase CPU clock speed?

No, increasing RAM does not directly affect the CPU clock speed. However, having more RAM can help improve overall performance and allow the CPU to access and process more data at a faster rate. It's important to have a balance between CPU clock speed and RAM for optimal performance.