Hybrid bus simulink motor generator

In summary, the conversation is about creating a Simulink model for a hybrid bus using a gas turbine engine to power a generator for recharging the batteries. The person is seeking help on how to use a motor model as a generator and has been suggested to research a BLDC motor with controller and battery requirements for charging.
Alex91
Hi,

I am making a Simulink model for the drive cycle of a hybrid bus. My bus is using a gas turbine engine to power a generator which then charges the batteries.

I have a motor model which I have attached a screenshot of, and I know I can use this as a generator also. I just have no idea how to do this, or what I need to change. My gas turbine will have a certain RPM and a certain power (kW) and then the generator will give me a voltage to recharge my batteries with.

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• MotorModel.png
    MotorModel.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 496
  • CurrentDemand.png
    CurrentDemand.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 482
  • MotorLosses.png
    MotorLosses.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 515
Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest a BLDC motor with controller for this project. Some of them can run as motors or generators. You can program it using the controller for suitable RPM, and power delivery.

Research BlDC motor/generator.

You also need to research the battery's requirements for charging. You don't say what the battery chemistry is. The best source of general battery information is here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/

1. What is a hybrid bus?

A hybrid bus is a type of vehicle that uses two or more power sources to propel itself. In most cases, it combines a traditional internal combustion engine with an electric motor and battery pack.

2. What is a motor generator in a hybrid bus?

A motor generator is an electrical device that serves as both a motor and a generator. In a hybrid bus, it is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy to drive the vehicle, as well as to convert mechanical energy from the wheels into electrical energy to charge the battery.

3. How does a hybrid bus motor generator work?

The motor generator in a hybrid bus works by using the electric motor to assist the internal combustion engine in powering the vehicle. When the bus is slowing down or braking, the motor generator switches to generator mode, capturing and storing energy in the battery for later use.

4. What is the purpose of using a motor generator in a hybrid bus?

The motor generator in a hybrid bus serves several purposes. It helps to improve fuel efficiency by reducing the load on the internal combustion engine. It also allows for regenerative braking, which helps to recharge the battery and improve overall energy efficiency. Additionally, it can provide additional power when needed, such as during acceleration.

5. How is the motor generator controlled in a hybrid bus?

The motor generator in a hybrid bus is typically controlled by a complex system that uses sensors and algorithms to determine when and how to use the motor generator. This system takes into account factors such as vehicle speed, driver inputs, and battery charge level to optimize the use of the motor generator for the most efficient operation of the vehicle.