Micro/SEM research: Tools and Set up Help?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to conduct a research project using the SEM and testing antibacterial methods against E. coli. Their professor has provided information on factors to consider and suggested using a time series approach. The speaker is also looking for technical methods and a helpful resource for their project.
lunaskye0
Hey Everyone,

A while back I had posted a question here looking for some research ideas for an undergraduate project utilizing the SEM. It had to be microbiology related as I am combing credits for two courses. My project is about testing different antibacterial methods against E. coli; ampicillin, vitamin C, and copper.

I ran this by my professor, but she basically threw a ton of information my way.. Problem is, I haven't taken microbiology since a few years and it was not my strongest course. From what I can remember, she asked me to consider some factors in how I will test these methods.

Firstly, she has prepared a streak plate for me, and I will need to make them into a broth culture. How do I do that...?

I thought to do a time series as, especially copper, can eat up bacteria from anywhere up to two hours. She told me to consider counting the culture and then counting it in comparison. Perhaps this is an obvious question, but if its in a broth and I am dipping samples from the same culture into many vials of fixative at different time intervals, how can I count the culture number? Am I missing something?

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestion as to the technical methods for how to carry out my project. I was just going to observe the morphological changes under SEM, but I didn't consider that some of the bacteria would actually be gone.

Thanks for any help!

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between a micrograph and a SEM image?

A micrograph is an image that is captured using a light microscope, while a SEM image is captured using a scanning electron microscope. The difference lies in the method of imaging - a light microscope uses light to create an image, while a SEM uses electrons. This results in much higher resolution and magnification capabilities for SEM images.

2. What are the key components of a scanning electron microscope?

The key components of a SEM include an electron source, a series of electromagnetic lenses, a sample chamber, and a detector. The electron source produces a beam of electrons, which are focused and directed by the lenses onto the sample. The detector collects the electrons that are scattered or emitted from the sample and converts them into an image.

3. How do I prepare my sample for SEM imaging?

Sample preparation for SEM imaging involves several steps. First, the sample must be cleaned and dried to remove any contaminants or moisture. Then, it is typically coated with a conductive material such as gold or carbon to prevent charging during imaging. The sample is then mounted onto a specialized sample holder and placed into the sample chamber of the SEM.

4. What are some common applications of SEM in research?

SEM is a powerful tool for imaging and analyzing a wide range of samples in various fields of research. Some common applications include material science, biology, geology, and forensics. SEM can be used to study the surface morphology of materials, identify elemental composition, and even create 3D images of structures at a nanoscale level.

5. How can I ensure the best results when using a SEM?

To achieve the best results when using a SEM, it is important to properly set up and optimize the instrument. This includes adjusting the imaging parameters such as voltage, current, and magnification, as well as properly preparing the sample. Regular maintenance and calibration of the SEM is also crucial for obtaining accurate and high-quality images.