Difference between formal systems and theories

In summary, a theory is a subset of a formal language with a set of inference rules and axioms, while a formal system is an alphabet with a set of well-formed formulas, inference rules, and axioms. The two concepts have similarities, but a theory may be more general in that its inference rules and axioms may not necessarily have to be well-formed formulas. These concepts have applications in mathematics, computer science, and linguistics, particularly in the study of compiler design.
V0ODO0CH1LD
A theory is a subset of a formal language together with a set of inference rules on that formal language in which the members of the theory need no premises to be true, right? So if I had a subset ##\mathcal{T}## of a formal language ##\mathcal{F}##, and a set of inference rules in which all members of ##\mathcal{T}## were true without any premises, that would make ##\mathcal{T}## a theory, right?

Now a formal system is an alphabet ##\Sigma## together with a subset ##F## of all words over ##\Sigma## whose members are well formed formulas, a set of inference rules on ##F## and another subset of ##F## that make up the axioms of the formal system.

In short:
  • theory: formal language, inference rules, axioms.
  • formal system: alphabet, wff, inference rules, axioms.

But isn't a subset of all words over an alphabet a formal language anyway? Making theories and formal systems the "same" concepts?

Or are theories more general than subsets of formal languages? So the premises and conclusions in the rules of inference of a theory need not be well formed formulas of a formal language. Is that the case?

Also, what field of mathematics should I look into to learn more about these concepts? Logic? Proof theory?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
While I can't answer your question on the differences between the two, I did find this writeup on formal language theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_language

It mentions it has a basis in mathematics, computer science and linguistics. I've studied compiler language definition which is a mix of mathematics of set theory and compsci concepts so it seems to me that computer science will cover most of it in the context of compiler design.

http://www.inf.unibz.it/~artale/Compiler/slide2.pdf

the pdf above covers it in the context of compiler theory.

I think the key difference is the wff feature of formal language that adds more rules on how you can form sentences from words.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a formal system and a theory?

A formal system is a set of rules and symbols used to manipulate symbols and create logical statements. A theory, on the other hand, is a set of explanations or principles that explain a phenomenon or set of phenomena. In simpler terms, a formal system is a tool used to create and test theories.

2. Are formal systems and theories related to each other?

Yes, formal systems and theories are closely related. Formal systems are used to create and test theories, while theories are based on the principles and explanations derived from the results of formal systems. Both are integral to the scientific method and the process of creating and testing hypotheses.

3. Can a formal system exist without a theory?

Yes, a formal system can exist without a theory. Formal systems can be used for various purposes, such as creating logical statements, developing mathematical proofs, or constructing computer programs. However, in the context of science, formal systems are typically used to support or refute theories.

4. How do formal systems and theories contribute to scientific progress?

Formal systems and theories are essential components of the scientific method and contribute to scientific progress in several ways. Formal systems provide a structured and systematic way of testing ideas and hypotheses, while theories help to explain and understand complex phenomena. Together, they allow scientists to make predictions, develop new technologies, and expand our knowledge and understanding of the world.

5. Can formal systems and theories be revised or changed over time?

Yes, both formal systems and theories can be revised or changed over time. As new evidence or data is gathered, theories may need to be adjusted or modified to better explain the phenomenon in question. Similarly, formal systems can also be refined or expanded upon as new techniques or technologies become available. This continuous process of revising and improving formal systems and theories is essential for scientific progress.