Absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions

by Raezeman
Tags: absorption, cross, hydrogen, ions, sections
Share this thread:
Raezeman
Jul9-14, 08:08 AM
P: 5
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with. At first i thought finding this on the web was easy, but turns out to not be trivial at all. If you can help me, i also need the (reliable) source where it comes from, a value alone will help me for a brief moment, but will bring me back to the problem in the long run (i think the scientific community will burn me if i try to publish something like 'i got this value from someone on an online physics forum')
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
rigetFrog
Jul9-14, 09:06 AM
P: 111
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/...ogentable2.htm

you may thank me profusely
Raezeman
Jul9-14, 09:14 AM
euhm, this chart seems to just give spectral lines of hydrogen, while what i need are absorption cross sections, i.e. the measure of probability that the hydrogen ion absorbs a photon, this being dependent on the wavelength. I need this for a specific set of photon wavelenghts, one of which being 656.28 angstum (the Halpha line)

rigetFrog
Jul9-14, 09:33 AM
P: 111
Absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions

oops
snorkack
Jul9-14, 11:27 AM
P: 386
Quote Quote by Raezeman View Post
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with.
Um, H alpha is the line for neutral hydrogen atom, not positive hydrogen ion!
Raezeman
Jul10-14, 03:18 AM
ok wait, i'm getting confused, or mixing up my basic physics, so let me go more broad:
Let's say we have a postiive hydrogen ion being radiated by light with a very broad wavelength range. What wavelengths will get absorbed and what is the corresponding absorption cross section?

Register to reply