What is the role of 'unassigned' mentors in online forums?

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, some mentors are not assigned to moderate a particular forum as they are considered "floating mods", meaning they have the same abilities as assigned mods. These "floaters" do not appear on the forum's staff page, but it is simply a quirk of the software. However, they are still able to exercise their powers throughout the forum. One mentor was dared to append "purple monkey dishwasher" to a post and another failed the rule of not editing someone's post. It is implied that this is why they are not acknowledged on the mentor list, as they were not given an instruction manual. Another mentor uses the term "lace curtains" instead of "purple monkey dishwasher".
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've just noticed that some people who are mentors, are not assigned to moderate a particular forum, I was just wandering what the reason is for this, what their roles and responsibilities are for example?

~H

Physics news on Phys.org
None of our mentors are actually restricted to acting in one specific forum. All are able to do whatever is needed in any forum. The "floating mods" pretty much do the same thing the assigned mods do.

- Warren

Thank's Warren, I was just curious.

~H

Hootenanny said:
I was just curious.

~H
FYI, that's not a crime. :smile:

arildno said:
FYI, that's not a crime. :smile:

:rofl: :rofl:

~H

chroot said:
None of our mentors are actually restricted to acting in one specific forum. All are able to do whatever is needed in any forum. The "floating mods" pretty much do the same thing the assigned mods do.

- Warren
Wait, then why am I blocked from the upper levels of the forum? :wink:

Hootenanny said:
I've just noticed that some people who are mentors, are not assigned to moderate a particular forum, I was just wandering what the reason is for this, what their roles and responsibilities are for example?

~H
We just smash knuckles and break kneecaps whenever spammers wander in. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
We just smash knuckles and break kneecaps whenever spammers wander in. :biggrin:

Sounds like fun :biggrin: Do you have a big stick?

~H

I've also noticed that these 'floaters' :wink: do not appear on the forum 'staff' page, is there any particular reason for this?

~H

Evo said:
Wait, then why am I blocked from the upper levels of the forum? :wink:
You can exercise your powers anywhere on this forum :biggrin:.

I dare one of you mentors to append "purple monkey dishwasher" to this post.

purple monkey dishwasher :biggrin: (Though, you already have it written above, how do you know it's me writing it?) :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
dav2008 said:
I dare one of you mentors to append "purple monkey dishwasher" to this post.

I don't get it :confused:

Hootenanny said:
I've also noticed that these 'floaters' :wink: do not appear on the forum 'staff' page, is there any particular reason for this?

~H
Better to sneak up on people when they aren't looking. :biggrin:

It's just a quirk of the software I think that only those assigned to forums show up in that list. Unless Greg's just trying to give me a hint of some sort. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
unless Greg's just trying to give me a hint of some sort. :uhh:

Aww, I'm sure he's not!

~H

Tsk tsk tsk! Moonbear failed the most important rule of PF Mentoring: Never ever edit someone's post with "purple monkey dishwasher".

dav2008 said:
Tsk tsk tsk! Moonbear failed the most important rule of PF Mentoring: Never ever edit someone's post with "purple monkey dishwasher".
Well, now we know why Greg won't acknowledge me on the mentor list. :rofl: That's what they get for never giving me an instruction manual. :rolleyes:

Darn, I knew I should have waited for the double dog dare. :grumpy:

I use the politically correct 'lace curtains".

What is an 'Unassigned' Mentor?

An 'Unassigned' Mentor is a term used to describe a mentor who is not specifically assigned to a mentee or a mentee group. This means that the mentor is available to provide support and guidance to any mentee who may need it.

How is an 'Unassigned' Mentor different from a regular mentor?

An 'Unassigned' Mentor does not have a specific mentee or mentee group to work with. They are available to provide support and guidance to any mentee who may need it. Regular mentors are usually assigned to a specific mentee or mentee group and have a more structured and consistent mentoring relationship.

Can I request to have an 'Unassigned' Mentor?

It depends on the mentoring program or organization. Some programs may allow mentees to request an 'Unassigned' Mentor, while others may assign mentors based on compatibility and availability.

What are the benefits of having an 'Unassigned' Mentor?

An 'Unassigned' Mentor can provide a different perspective and offer a fresh and unbiased approach to mentoring. They can also offer support and guidance to mentees who may not have a regular mentor or who may need additional support.

Is there a limit to how many mentees an 'Unassigned' Mentor can have?

It depends on the mentoring program or organization. Some may have a limit on the number of mentees an 'Unassigned' Mentor can have, while others may not have a limit. This is to ensure that the mentor is able to provide quality support and guidance to each mentee.