Creating a perpendicular plane

In summary, you can find the equation of a plane by subtracting the coordinates of two points on the line of intersection, and solving for d.
samako
I've been having trouble with lots of basic geometry, including a lot of things regarding planes and intersection of planes.

My question is, how would I get the equation of a plane (given a point on the plane), which is perpendicular to the line of intersection of two other planes?

I am not only interested in the answer, but more into the reasoning and things... because I do get quite a few questions like these, and I think that it would be better for me to actually understand what I'm working with. So the more detailed, and informative explanation (with perpendicular and parallel planes), the better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: a plane [itex]\alpha :ax + by + cz + d = 0[/itex] has a normal vector which is perpendicular to the plane given by (a,b,c).

samako said:
I've been having trouble with lots of basic geometry, including a lot of things regarding planes and intersection of planes.
My question is, how would I get the equation of a plane (given a point on the plane), which is perpendicular to the line of intersection of two other planes?
I am not only interested in the answer, but more into the reasoning and things... because I do get quite a few questions like these, and I think that it would be better for me to actually understand what I'm working with. So the more detailed, and informative explanation (with perpendicular and parallel planes), the better.

Take two points of the intersecting line and subtract their coordinates. You get a new vector (a,b,c) that denotes the direction of that line. Use the new vector as the normal vector in the plane equation, just like TD pointed out. There is still one unkown (d) in [itex]\alpha :ax + by + cz + d = 0[/itex]. You can find this d by plugging in the given coordinates of a point that belongs to the plane you are looking for

marlon

1. How do you create a perpendicular plane?

Creating a perpendicular plane involves using a straightedge and a compass to draw two intersecting lines at a 90-degree angle. The intersecting lines will form the perpendicular plane.

2. What tools are needed to create a perpendicular plane?

The tools needed to create a perpendicular plane are a straightedge, such as a ruler or T-square, and a compass. These tools will help you accurately draw the intersecting lines at a 90-degree angle.

3. Can a perpendicular plane be created without using a compass?

Yes, a perpendicular plane can be created without using a compass. You can use a protractor to measure and draw a 90-degree angle, or you can use the 3-4-5 method by measuring 3 units on one line and 4 units on the other, then connecting the endpoints with a straight line that will form a 90-degree angle.

4. What is the purpose of creating a perpendicular plane?

A perpendicular plane is useful in many applications, such as construction, engineering, and geometry. It is used to create right angles, which are important for creating stable and symmetrical structures.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when creating a perpendicular plane?

One common mistake when creating a perpendicular plane is not using a straightedge or compass accurately, resulting in lines that are not perfectly perpendicular. It is important to take your time and use the tools correctly to ensure the accuracy of the perpendicular plane.