Rate of energy transfer by conduction through the window?

T_I = R_I \delta T_II \delta T_M = R_M \delta T_II \delta T_O = R_O \delta T_IIIn summary, we are given a thermal window with an area of 6.00 m^2 consisting of two layers of glass, each 4.00 mm thick, with an air space of 3.00 mm in between. The inside temperature is 20.0°C and the outside temperature is -38.0°C. Using the equation H=kA[(Thot-Tcold)/L], where k is the thermal conductivity constant of glass, we can calculate the rate of energy transfer by conduction through the
cmilho10
A thermal window with an area of 6.00 m2 is constructed of two layers of glass, each 4.00 mm thick and separated from each other by an air space of 3.00 mm. If the inside is at 20.0°C and the outside is at -38.0°C, what is the rate of energy transfer by conduction through the window?

i am using the equation:

H=kA[(Thot-Tcold)/L]

where:
k=Thermal Conductivity constant of glass (0.8 W/m*C)
A=6.0 m^2
change in temp=58 C
and i have tried the lengths at 0.011 m, 0.008 m, and 0.003 m

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the change in Temperature is zero ... they're asking about a
static situation. There is a Temperature difference (gradient).

Have you done simple thermal conduction problems, with only one layer? If so, you know that you're computing the flow of Energy through the layer.

Now, what happens to the Energy that flows through the first layer?
How much of it later flows through the second layer?
How much of it eventually flows through the third layer?

You have the same H in each layer:
[tex] k_I A \frac{(T_1 - T_2)}{L_I} = k_M A \frac{(T_2 - T_3)}{L_M} = k_O A \frac{(T_3 - T_4)}{L_O} [/tex]
this looks a lot neater with Tempaerature diferences across each layer:
[tex] k_I A \frac{\delta T_I }{L_I} = k_M A \frac{ \delta T_M}{L_M} = k_O A \frac{ \delta T_O}{L_O} [/tex] , where [tex] \delta T_I + \delta T_M + \delta T_O = 58 C [/tex]
Now "just" solve these simultaneously.
It might help to make a new variable "R" = L / kA for each layer ...

1. How does conduction transfer energy through a window?

Conduction is the transfer of heat energy through direct contact between two objects. In the case of a window, heat from the warmer side of the window is transferred to the cooler side through direct contact between the two materials.

2. What factors affect the rate of energy transfer by conduction through a window?

The rate of energy transfer through a window depends on the temperature difference between the two sides of the window, the material of the window, its thickness, and the area of the window.

3. How does the material of a window affect the rate of energy transfer by conduction?

Different materials have different abilities to conduct heat. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer heat faster than materials with lower conductivity, such as wood or plastic.

4. Does the thickness of a window affect the rate of energy transfer by conduction?

Yes, thicker windows will have a slower rate of energy transfer compared to thinner windows. This is because thicker windows have a greater distance for heat to travel through, resulting in a slower rate of conduction.

5. Can the rate of energy transfer by conduction through a window be reduced?

Yes, the rate of energy transfer through a window can be reduced by using insulating materials, such as double or triple-paned windows, or by using window treatments like curtains or blinds to provide an additional barrier against heat transfer.