Calculate ymax(x) of Two Harmonic Waves at x = 2.21m

In summary, the conversation is about finding the amplitude of the resultant wave at a specific point, given the equations y1 = Asin(kx - wt) and y2 = Asin(kx + wt) and the values of A, k, and w. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding the problem and is looking for guidance in solving it. They mention having a professor who does not teach and gives confusing homework. Eventually, they figure out that the amplitude can be found using the equation A = |2Asinkx|.
jh24628
y1 = Asin (kx - wt)
y2 = Asin(kx + wt)

given A, k, w.

what is the amplitude ymax(x) of the resultant wave at x = 2.21 m

need help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some of your working / thoughts?

i don't know where to start this, that's why I'm asking for help, i suck at physics and i have a prof that doesn't teach.

You don't have to solve it, or even start solving it.
Just explain some thoughts you have on it, or tell us what you know, or what you don't know, or what you feel needs clarification, or ...

Basically show that you've at least tried to read the relevant material in your textbook, and put a little thought into the problem.

thats the problem, my prof doesn't use the book, he skips around all the time and gives us homework from some website that doesn't go along with what he teaches in class or the book.

i figured it out, A = |2Asinkx|

1. What is the formula for calculating ymax(x) of Two Harmonic Waves at x = 2.21m?

The formula for calculating ymax(x) of Two Harmonic Waves at x = 2.21m is: ymax(x) = A1sin(k1x + ω1t) + A2sin(k2x + ω2t), where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of the two waves, k1 and k2 are the wave numbers, ω1 and ω2 are the angular frequencies, and x is the position at which the waves are being measured.

2. What do A1, A2, k1, k2, ω1, ω2, and x represent in the formula?

A1 and A2 represent the amplitudes of the two waves, which determine the maximum displacement of the waves from the equilibrium position. k1 and k2 represent the wave numbers, which are related to the wavelength of the waves. ω1 and ω2 represent the angular frequencies, which are related to the period of the waves. x represents the position at which the waves are being measured.

3. How do I know if the waves are in phase or out of phase?

If the two waves have the same frequency and wavelength, they are in phase and will produce a larger amplitude at their peak and trough points. If the two waves have different frequencies or wavelengths, they are out of phase and will produce smaller amplitudes at their peak and trough points.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of harmonic waves?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of harmonic waves, as long as they have the same frequency and wavelength.

5. How can I use this formula to find the maximum displacement of the waves?

To find the maximum displacement of the waves, simply plug in the values for A1, A2, k1, k2, ω1, ω2, and x into the formula and solve for ymax(x). This will give you the maximum displacement of the waves at the specified position (x = 2.21m).