Ocean: New alternative energy source idea

In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential success of using buoys to generate power in the alternative energy field. The website www.oceanpowertechnologies.com is mentioned as having the best program in this area. However, one person expresses doubts about the effectiveness of this method and compares it to a Carnot engine. The other person suggests sticking with nuclear fusion reactors instead. The conversation ends with a mention of another person who also discovered the website and has doubts about its potential.
Mk
If everybody in alternative energy field focused on this plan (power via buoys), I'm sure it will succeed:

www.oceanpowertechnologies.com

I saw these people on "Discoveries this Week" on the Science Channel.

They have the best alternative energy program by far.
What's going on here? It doesn't seem like it would work well at all. I remember popular science said something about how little power it produced. Reminds me of a Carnot engine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle

Is this a good idea, or should I stick with nuclear fusion reactors?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Nuclear fusion, pfff, that'll never produce the power that calm ocean waves can produce!

But seriously, I am highly skepitical... the website left much to the imagination.

1. What is the "Ocean: New alternative energy source idea"?

The "Ocean: New alternative energy source idea" refers to the concept of harnessing the power of the ocean to generate renewable energy. This can include utilizing wave energy, tidal energy, and thermal energy from the ocean's temperature difference to produce electricity.

2. How does this alternative energy source work?

There are various technologies that can be used to harness ocean energy, but the most common method is through wave energy converters. These devices use the up and down motion of waves to drive a generator and produce electricity. Tidal energy systems, on the other hand, use the ebb and flow of tides to generate power. Lastly, ocean thermal energy conversion systems use the temperature difference between warm surface water and cold deep water to produce electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using the ocean as an energy source?

There are several advantages to using the ocean as an energy source. First, it is a renewable energy source, meaning it will not run out like fossil fuels. Second, it is more consistent and predictable compared to other renewable energy sources like wind and solar. Additionally, ocean energy has a smaller environmental impact and does not produce greenhouse gas emissions.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the ocean as an energy source?

One potential drawback is the high cost of building and maintaining ocean energy systems. These technologies are still in the early stages of development and require significant investments. There may also be environmental concerns, such as the impact on marine life and ecosystems. However, research is being conducted to mitigate these potential drawbacks.

5. Is ocean energy already being used as an alternative energy source?

Yes, some countries, such as Scotland and Australia, have already implemented small-scale ocean energy projects. However, it is still a relatively new technology and has not yet been widely adopted. Research and development are ongoing to improve the efficiency and reduce the costs of ocean energy systems.