Calculating Expected Frequency of Girls per Family in a Biased Society

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the expected frequency of girls per family in a faraway land where boys were valued more than girls and couples kept having babies until they had a boy is 1. This can be calculated by finding the expected value of the number of girls in a family, which is equal to the number of families (F) multiplied by the expected value of the number of boys per family, which is 1. This is due to the fact that the total number of boys is equal to the total number of girls in the population, as each child has an equal chance of being a boy or a girl. Another way to calculate this is by using an infinite sum, but the result will be the same.
mathlete
Here's the question

"In a faraway land long ago, boys were valued more than girls. So couples kept having babies until they had a boy. The frequency of boys and girls in the populations as a whole remained equal, but what was the expected frequency of girls per family? (Assume that each sex is equally likely)"

I have a hint (see attachment)

I kind of see what they want, but I don't really know how to get it. I tried to find the expected value for a given case (let's say they have n babies), but it doesn't really come out to what they have. I don't really know how the fact that the frequency of boys and girls remains equal fits into the problem, either.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• hint.PNG
    hint.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a couple ways to do this. First, you can just find the expected value of the number of girls in a family by <g>=0*p(0)+1*p(1)+..., where p(n) is the probability of a family having n girls. For example, p(0)=1/2 since there is a 50% chance the first child will be a boy and the family will stop after that.

The other way is to note that the expected value of the number of boys per family is <b>=1, since a family won't stop until they have exactly one boy. Then the total number of boys is B=F*<b>=F, where F is the number of families. You also know B=G, ie, the total number of boys equals the total number of girls, (they tell you this, but do you understand why it is?), so what does this give you for <g>?

Last edited:
StatusX said:
There's a couple ways to do this. First, you can just find the expected value of the number of girls in a family by <g>=0*p(0)+1*p(1)+..., where p(n) is the probability of a family having n girls. For example, p(0)=1/2 since there is a 50% chance the first child will be a boy and the family will stop after that.
This makes sense... but I don't get the same infinite sum that's given (I get n*x^(n+1) instead of x^(n+1)/(n+1).

StatusX said:
The other way is to note that the expected value of the number of boys per family is <b>=1, since a family won't stop until they have exactly one boy. Then the total number of boys is B=F*<b>=F, where F is the number of families. You also know B=G, ie, the total number of boys equals the total number of girls, (they tell you this, but do you understand why it is?), so what does this give you for <g>?
This makes sense too, but wouldn't that just give you 1 for <g>? And sorry, I don't understand why total number of boys has to equal total number of girls

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it

mathlete said:
And sorry, I don't understand why total number of boys has to equal total number of girls
What is the probability that the first child a couple will have is a boy? Assuming the couple makes it to the second child, what is the probability the second child a couple will have is a boy? Assuming the couple makes it to the third child, what is the probability the third child a couple will have is a boy?

mathlete said:
This makes sense... but I don't get the same infinite sum that's given (I get n*x^(n+1) instead of x^(n+1)/(n+1).

Yea, I get the same thing as you. I'm not sure what they were going for with that hint, maybe there's another way to do it. But you can evaluate the sum using the same basic method they did, only differentiating where they integrated.

This makes sense too, but wouldn't that just give you 1 for <g>? And sorry, I don't understand why total number of boys has to equal total number of girls

The reason is that the next child who's born (anywhere) is either a boy or a girl with equal probability.

0rthodontist said:
What is the probability that the first child a couple will have is a boy? Assuming the couple makes it to the second child, what is the probability the second child a couple will have is a boy? Assuming the couple makes it to the third child, what is the probability the third child a couple will have is a boy?
1/2 for all of them, correct?

OK, well doing it both ways StatusX described I get 1 as an expected value. This seems to make sense to me, I don't really understand that hint but i'll just ignore it. Thanks for the help everyone!

1. How is the expected frequency of girls per family calculated in a biased society?

The expected frequency of girls per family in a biased society is calculated by multiplying the total number of families in the society by the probability of having a girl in each family.

2. What factors contribute to bias in the expected frequency of girls per family?

The main factors that contribute to bias in the expected frequency of girls per family are cultural and societal norms, gender discrimination, and unequal access to resources and opportunities for girls.

3. Can the expected frequency of girls per family in a biased society be accurately predicted?

No, the expected frequency of girls per family in a biased society cannot be accurately predicted as it is influenced by multiple complex and dynamic factors that are constantly changing.

4. How can scientists account for bias in calculating the expected frequency of girls per family?

Scientists can account for bias in calculating the expected frequency of girls per family by using statistical methods such as regression analysis to control for confounding variables and adjust for bias.

5. Why is it important to study the expected frequency of girls per family in a biased society?

Studying the expected frequency of girls per family in a biased society is important for understanding and addressing issues of gender inequality and discrimination. It can also inform policies and interventions aimed at promoting gender equality and empowering girls and women.