Integration by Parts: Struggling with e^xcos(x)dx

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integration by parts problem involving e^xcos(x)dx. The individual is unsure of how to proceed and wonders if doing a second integration by parts will lead to a circle. The expert advises to do the parts twice and combine like terms in order to solve the problem. They also mention a specific approach to take when assigning u and dv values. The expert reassures that the only trick to this problem is getting back to where you started and combining like terms.
ranger1716
I'm kind of lost on where to go next with this integration by parts problem.

I have to integrate e^xcos(x)dx.

I've gotten as far as one step of integration by parts, but I can't understand how this will help. It seems I'll just be going in circles. I have:

e^xsin(x) - int(e^xsin(x))dx. If I do a second integration by parts, will I not just get back to where I started?

Physics news on Phys.org
do parts twice, combine like terms and you can solve in terms of the original integral in question.

In other words, you do know how to solve z = a - z for z.

(P.S. doesn't your textbook do this as an example?)

ranger1716 said:
I'm kind of lost on where to go next with this integration by parts problem.

I have to integrate e^xcos(x)dx.

I've gotten as far as one step of integration by parts, but I can't understand how this will help. It seems I'll just be going in circles. I have:

e^xsin(x) - int(e^xsin(x))dx. If I do a second integration by parts, will I not just get back to where I started?
One thing that can prevents you from getting an obvious equation like 0 = 0 is that: If you previously assigned u = ex, and dv = cos(x) => v = sin(x), and get to:
[tex]\int e ^ x \cos x dx = e ^ x \sin x - \int e ^ x \sin x dx[/tex]
Then what you should do next is to let u = ex, and dv = sin(x).
After that, just do some little rearrangement, and you'll arrive at the answer.
Do NOT do the reverse (i.e, let u = sin(x), and dv = ex). If you want to see why, then just try it. Don't be surprise if you get an equation 0 = 0, or [tex]\int 0 dx = C[/tex].
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
ranger1716 said:
If I do a second integration by parts, will I not just get back to where I started?

that's the trick! get back where you started, and combine like terms, as in ac + bc = (a+b)c. that's the only trick to this problem.

1. What is integration by parts and how does it work?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that are products of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation. The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions. This method allows us to simplify complex integrals by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What is the general process for using integration by parts to solve an integral?

The general process for using integration by parts is as follows:

• Identify the two functions in the integral that can be represented as u and dv.
  • Use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to rewrite the integral.
  • Choose u and dv in a way that simplifies the integral or reduces its complexity.
  • Evaluate the new integral and repeat the process until the integral can be solved.

3. Can you provide an example of using integration by parts to solve an integral?

Sure, let's use the integral ∫x^2cos(x)dx as an example.

Step 1: Identify the two functions as u = x^2 and dv = cos(x)dx.

Step 2: Use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to rewrite the integral as ∫x^2cos(x)dx = x^2sin(x) - ∫2xsin(x)dx.

Step 3: Choose u = 2x and dv = sin(x)dx to simplify the integral.

Step 4: Repeat the process until the integral can be solved, in this case, ∫2xsin(x)dx = 2xcos(x) + 2∫cos(x)dx.

Step 5: The final integral is now in a simpler form and can be solved: ∫x^2cos(x)dx = x^2sin(x) - 2xcos(x) - 2sin(x) + C.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while using integration by parts to solve an integral?

If you get stuck while using integration by parts, you can try different combinations of u and dv or use integration tables to find a solution. You can also seek help from a tutor or consult a textbook for more examples and explanations. Practice and patience are key in mastering this technique.

5. How can I apply integration by parts to solve the integral e^xcos(x)dx?

To apply integration by parts to solve the integral e^xcos(x)dx, follow the general process outlined in question 2. In this case, you can choose u = cos(x) and dv = e^x dx, as this will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. After repeating the process, you will end up with the final solution of ∫e^xcos(x)dx = e^xcos(x) + esin(x) + C.