Calculating the PMF of Min. Observation of Discrete Distribution Sample Size 5

In summary, the pmf of the smallest observation of a random sample of size 5 from the given distribution is g_1(y_1) = (7-y_1)^5/6^5 - (6-y_1)^5/6^5, where y_1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6. The 7 in the solution comes from the 7 possible outcomes for the minimum observation, with one of them being 0 which is excluded from the equation.
happyg1
Hi,
I know this isn't hard, but I have a block on it.
Here's the question:
Let [tex]f(x)=1/6, x=1,2,3,4,5,6[/tex] zero elsewhere be the pmf of a distribution of the discrete type. Show that the pmf of the smallest observation of a random sample of size 5 from this distribution is:
[tex]g_1(y_1)=\left(\frac{7-y_1}{6}\right)^5-\left(\frac{6-y_1}{6}\right)^5,y_1=1,2,3,4,5,6[/tex]

I know I'm looking for the pmf of the minimum, which is the y_1, and I did this:
[tex]P(Y_1=y_1)=P(Y_1\leq y_1)-P(Y_1<y_1)[/tex]
I'm having trouble seeing why there's a 7 in the solution. I'm missing something.
I know that wheneve I get the probabilities of each piece, they will be to the 5th power because there's 5 observations in the sample and we multiply the probabilities together. What the probabilities are is the part that has me confused.
We've been focusing on continuous problems for so long I can't wrap my mind around this.
Any hints or pointers will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!The 7 in the solution is coming from the number of possible outcomes for the minimum observation. Since you have 6 possible values for the observed variable (1,2,3,4,5,6), there are 7 possibilities for the minimum observation: 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 0. The probability that the minimum observation is 0 is 0, so it can be excluded from the equation. So the equation is P(Y_1=y_1) = P(Y_1≤y_1) - P(Y_1<y_1). For the first part, P(Y_1≤y_1), this is the probability that the minimum observation is less than or equal to a certain value (y_1). To calculate this, you need to take the probability for each of the possible values (1,2,3,4,5,6) and multiply them together. This gives you the probability that all of the observations are less than or equal to y_1. For the second part, P(Y_1<y_1), this is the probability that the minimum observation is less than a certain value (y_1). To calculate this, you need to take the probability for each of the possible values (1,2,3,4,5,6) and multiply them together, except for the probability of y_1. This gives you the probability that all of the observations are less than y_1. Combining these two equations gives you the solution above.

What is the PMF of a discrete distribution?

The PMF (Probability Mass Function) of a discrete distribution is a function that assigns probabilities to each possible outcome of a discrete random variable. It shows the probability of each possible value occurring in a sample space.

How do you calculate the PMF of a minimum observation?

To calculate the PMF of the minimum observation of a sample size 5, you need to first determine the minimum value from the sample. Then, you divide the number of times the minimum value occurs by the total number of observations in the sample.

What is the significance of a sample size of 5 in calculating the PMF of minimum observation?

The sample size of 5 represents the number of observations in the sample for which we are calculating the PMF of the minimum observation. It is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the PMF calculation.

Can the PMF of minimum observation be calculated for continuous distributions?

No, the PMF of minimum observation can only be calculated for discrete distributions. Continuous distributions have an infinite number of possible values, making it impossible to determine the probability of a specific minimum value.

How can the PMF of minimum observation be used in scientific research?

The PMF of minimum observation can be used to analyze and understand the distribution of data in a sample. It can also be used to make predictions and in hypothesis testing to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring. Additionally, it can be used in simulations and modeling to estimate the probability of certain events.