Feynman Parameters: Solving an Induction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an induction problem involving the identity \frac{1}{A_1\cdots A_n}=\int_0^1 dx_1\cdots dx_n \delta (\sum_i^nx_i-1) \frac{(n-1)!}{[A_1x_1+\cdots +A_nx_n]^n} and a given hint. The speaker has difficulty solving the problem due to a cold and suggests using the given identity \frac{1}{AB^n}=\int^1_0 dxdy \delta (x+y-1)\frac{ny^{n-1}}{[Ax+By]^{n+1}} as a starting point. The
Perturbation
Hey, this is a pretty simple induction problem, but I suck at induction and I think I'm missing something really obvious here, though trying to figure it out whilst having a pretty bad cold isn't much of a good idea.

The identity

[tex]\frac{1}{A_1\cdots A_n}=\int_0^1 dx_1\cdots dx_n \delta (\sum_i^nx_i-1) \frac{(n-1)!}{[A_1x_1+\cdots +A_nx_n]^n}[/tex]

Can be proven inductively, given that we know it works for n=2, by the use of

[tex]\frac{1}{AB^n}=\int^1_0 dxdy \delta (x+y-1)\frac{ny^{n-1}}{[Ax+By]^{n+1}}[/tex]

I get to a certain point then just can't see what to do. Gargh...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, whatever it is, I can't really see the more relevant parts of your post... The identity and the hint.
Maybe you should edit and add it at the end until Tex decides to work again.

Put [tex]y = A_1A_2...A_{n-1}[/tex], it falls right out.

Carl

You can find the identity:
[tex]\frac{1}{A\*B^n}=...[/tex]
useful

http://www.physics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Quantum_field_theory/Schwinger-Feynman_parameters

Last edited by a moderator:
Or better :

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/math/feynman-parameters.html

Then they explain more precisely what happens to the limits of the integrals.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Feynman parameters used for?

Feynman parameters are used to solve induction problems in physics. They help to simplify and organize complex calculations involving Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions.

2. How do Feynman parameters work?

Feynman parameters assign numerical values to the propagators in a Feynman diagram, which represent the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. By doing this, the diagram can be broken down into smaller parts that are easier to calculate.

3. What is the benefit of using Feynman parameters?

The main benefit of using Feynman parameters is that they allow for more efficient and accurate calculations in quantum field theory. They also provide a more visual representation of particle interactions, making it easier to understand and analyze complex systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Feynman parameters?

While Feynman parameters can greatly simplify calculations, they may not be suitable for all types of problems. They are most useful for problems involving particles with similar masses and interactions, and may not be as effective for more complex systems.

5. How are Feynman parameters related to Richard Feynman?

Feynman parameters are named after the physicist Richard Feynman, who developed the technique in the 1940s. He used them to solve problems in quantum electrodynamics and they have since become an important tool in many areas of physics.