How can the sum of reciprocals be derived from the product of primes?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the equation \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^s} = \prod_{p} (1-p^ {-s} )^ {-1} and finding a different way to prove it by starting with the product of primes and deriving the sum. The person is looking for a specific proof and asks for help in solving it. They also mention difficulties with using LaTeX and ask for clarification on why it doesn't work.
heartless
Hello,
I'm trying to prove that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^s} = \prod_{p} (1-p^ {-s} )^ {-1} [/tex]

I know why it is and a proof, but I'm actually looking for
a different way to prove going backward and deriving the
sum from the product of primes. Can you show me a way to do that?
I'd like to start with...
[tex] \prod_{p} (1-p^ {-s} )^ {-1} = ... [/tex]

Thanks,

p.s that -s above and then following -1 should be both exponents for the equation
same with -s and -1 on the bottom, I'm not the master latex writer. Can somebody also tell me why it doesn't work?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
heartless said:
Hello,
I'm trying to prove that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^s} = \prod_{p} (1-p^ {-s} )^ {-1} [/tex]

I'd like to start with...
[tex] \prod_{p} (1-p^ {-s} )^ {-1} = ... [/tex]

Thanks,

p.s that -s above and then following -1 should be both exponents for the equation
same with -s and -1 on the bottom, I'm not the master latex writer. Can somebody also tell me why it doesn't work?

The golden key lives in the golden house with goldielocks. It is guarded by two dragons. Penitent man will pass.

SirArthur333 said:
The golden key lives in the golden house with goldielocks. It is guarded by two dragons. Penitent man will pass.

I will never pass... but! I wouldn't have to, if you show me the very proof :)

heartless said:

What proof do you know? The usual is to look at the finite product [tex]\prod_{p\leq x}(1-p^{-s})^{-1}[/tex] and expand using geometric series. Then compare with [tex]\sum_{n\leq x} n^{-s}[/tex], and show the difference the two goes to zero as x-> infinity.

1. What is the golden key and why is it important to prove it?

The golden key refers to a fundamental concept or principle in a scientific theory or model. It is important to prove the golden key because it serves as the basis for understanding and predicting phenomena in a particular field of study.

2. How do scientists go about proving the golden key?

Scientists use various methods and techniques, such as experiments, data analysis, and mathematical models, to gather evidence and test hypotheses related to the golden key. They also rely on peer review and replication studies to validate their findings.

3. Can there be more than one golden key in a scientific theory?

Yes, it is possible for a scientific theory to have multiple golden keys. In fact, some theories have multiple fundamental principles that work together to explain a phenomenon or set of phenomena.

4. Is it possible to disprove the golden key?

Yes, the golden key can be disproven if new evidence or data contradicts it. However, this does not necessarily mean the entire theory is invalid. Scientists may need to revise or modify the theory to account for the new findings.

5. How does proving the golden key contribute to the advancement of science?

Proving the golden key is crucial for the development of scientific knowledge and understanding. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions, create new technologies, and expand our understanding of the natural world. Furthermore, it serves as a foundation for future research and discoveries in a particular field.