Legendre's equation with Frobenius method

In summary, the student was trying to solve for r in a Legendre equation, but wasn't sure how to do it. He ended up finding r=0 automatically.
schattenjaeger
I know you don't need Frobies method per se, but he wanted us to practice, well I got the right recursion formula, but I realize I got to it wrong...After I plugged in the assumed series solution and all its derivatives and stuff and got that big long equation, it had two terms out in front and then a third term that was the infinite series(err, the indicial equation?) I took the first two terms and set them equal to 0 seperately(which you can't do) and got r=0 from that, do that for the series term and the recursion formula comes out right. So what was I SPOSED to do at that point? Take the whole thing and solve for r or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
What? Please post the actual problem and what you did so we can make some sense out of this!

Heh, ok, sorry. I don't have my work anymore or the actual problem but it's Legendre's equation, so like (1-x^2)y''-2xy'+uy=0 where u is a parameter. He wanted us to do it with the method of Frobenius, which is where you assume a solution of the form y= sum(n->0,infinity) Anx^(n+r) An is a constant depending on n, r is ANY real number(not just integers)now I know the problem can be done with just a power series so there's no need for this method, but this is what he wanted us to do.

So, if I differentiate it twice and once and plug it back into the equation itself, I ended up ultimately with r=0 as being necessary for the whole equation to equal 0, is that what I'm sposed to expect to happen? Everything ended up as the right answer but in class he mumbled about how you were sposed to get r=0 AND r=1 or something, and I wasn't sure about that, and I fear I did an illegal operation in getting my r=0(I don't have my work though)

well if you take the indicial equation should be like (r-1)r=0 for the case of legendre, that mean that the roots are 1 and 0 like you professor said and not only r=0, because is not a double root problem.

1. What is Legendre's equation and why is it important in mathematics?

Legendre's equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It is important because it has a wide range of applications and can be used to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. Who was the mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and what is his contribution to the equation?

Adrien-Marie Legendre was a French mathematician who lived in the late 18th and early 19th century. He is best known for his work in number theory and mathematical analysis, including the development of Legendre's equation. His contribution to the equation was finding a special solution using the Frobenius method, which is a powerful technique for solving differential equations.

3. What is the Frobenius method and how is it used to solve Legendre's equation?

The Frobenius method is a technique for finding power series solutions to differential equations. In the case of Legendre's equation, the method involves substituting a series solution into the equation and solving for the coefficients. The method allows us to find a general solution to the equation, which can then be used to solve specific problems.

4. Can Legendre's equation be solved using other methods besides the Frobenius method?

Yes, there are other methods for solving Legendre's equation, such as the method of separation of variables and the method of variation of parameters. However, the Frobenius method is often preferred because it allows for the solution to be expressed in a simple and elegant form.

5. What are some real-world applications of Legendre's equation?

Legendre's equation has a variety of applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in quantum mechanics to describe the motion of an electron in a hydrogen atom. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric potential and magnetic field of a point charge. Additionally, Legendre's equation is used in geodesy to model the shape of the Earth's surface.