Spherical conductor capacitors

In summary, the question asks to calculate the capacitance (C) of a system consisting of two spherical conductors with a radius of 0.01m and a distance of 0.1m between their centres. The traditional equations for parallel plate or spherical capacitors cannot be used, so the long method of finding the electric field and potential difference between the spheres must be used. The equation V=kQ/r can be used for point charges, but since this is not the case, there is no quicker way. The final result for the capacitance is C = \frac{ \epslion_{0}4\pi(r_{a}+r)r_{a}}{r}, which when plugged in with the given numbers
Brewer
Question asks:

Two spherical conductors of radius 0.01m are placed with their centres 0.1m apart. Calculate the capacitance (C) of this system.

I can't do it like a parallel plate capacitor can i? and its not a traditional spherical capacitor is it? So I'm going to have to do it the long boring way, by finding the electric field between the two, and using that to find the potential difference between them aren't I?

Please tell me there's a quicker way than this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Q = CV, but do you know another equation for V, one that involves charge and distance perhaps?

Edit (in reply to post #3): My apologies, I guess I forgot about the part about point charges.

Last edited:
V=kQ/r?

But isn't that for point charges, of which this isn't?

Brewer there is no quicker way. It is given as a standard result in many texts.

balls!

I have read the question correctly and that the spheres are next to each other rather than a sphere inside a sphere?

Its just I can't find examples of the next to each other case, but loads for sphere in a sphere.

Right, I get an answer of:
[tex]C = \frac{ \epslion_{0}4\pi(r_{a}+r)r_{a}}{r}[/tex]

which when I plug the numbers in gives me [tex]1.22*10^{-12} F[/tex]

where [tex]r_{a}[/tex] is the radius of a sphere, and r is separation between them.

1. What is a spherical conductor capacitor?

A spherical conductor capacitor is a type of electrical component that consists of two conductive surfaces, typically in the shape of spheres, that are separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electric charge and has the ability to store a larger charge compared to other capacitor designs.

2. How does a spherical conductor capacitor work?

A spherical conductor capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two conductive surfaces. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one surface becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric potential difference, or voltage, between the two surfaces. The dielectric material between the surfaces helps to maintain this charge separation and allows the capacitor to store energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a spherical conductor capacitor?

One advantage of using a spherical conductor capacitor is its ability to store a large amount of charge in a relatively small space. This makes it a compact and efficient choice for electronic devices. Additionally, the spherical shape of the capacitor allows for more uniform distribution of the electric field, resulting in better performance.

4. What are some common applications of spherical conductor capacitors?

Spherical conductor capacitors are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. They are also commonly used in radio frequency circuits and high voltage applications. Additionally, they are used in medical devices, such as defibrillators and pacemakers.

5. Can spherical conductor capacitors be used in parallel or series?

Yes, spherical conductor capacitors can be connected in parallel or series to increase their capacitance or voltage rating, respectively. When connected in parallel, the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances. When connected in series, the total voltage rating is the sum of the individual voltage ratings. However, it is important to note that connecting capacitors in series may also affect their capacitance due to the formation of an equivalent series capacitance.