Electron drift velocity

In summary, in this conversation, the question asked about the drift velocity of free electrons in a copper wire when a potential difference of 3.0V is applied. The formula for drift velocity is V_d = (eEtau)/m, and the electric field can be calculated using V/d. However, it was mentioned that the electric field should be along the wire for electrons to move, and that the longitudinal electric field inside the wire is responsible for exerting a force on the electrons. The period (average time interval) between collisions also plays a role in this problem. Additional sources for information on this topic include the HyperPhysics website and the books Resnick and Halliday Vol 2 or Resnick, Halliday, Krane
Brewer
Question asks:

A potential difference of 3.0V is applied to the ends of a copper wire which is 0.5m long. In copper at room temperature, the average time interval between collisions is [tex]\tau = 2.7*10^{-14}[/tex]s. What is the drift velocity of the free electrons in the wire?

Well, I know that [tex]V_{d} = \frac{eE\tau}{m}[/tex], but is E (electric field), just V/d? So it would be 6 (3/0.5)?

If it is that I thought that the electric field was radial due to the wire, and it seems to me that it should be along the wire for the electons to move.

Physics news on Phys.org
V/L is the longitudinal electric field inside the wire and is responsible for exerting a force on a free electron, which is then accelerated along the length of the wire. Then obviously there will be interactions with the atoms in the material, which affect the path/motion of the electrons.

So yeah E = V/L

Thank you.

So what is the connection of the period(average time interval) between collisions on the problem?

What is electron drift velocity?

Electron drift velocity is the average speed at which electrons move through a conducting material in an electric field.

How is electron drift velocity measured?

Electron drift velocity can be measured by applying an electric field to a conducting material and measuring the resulting current. The drift velocity can then be calculated using the formula: v = I / (neA), where v is the drift velocity, I is the current, n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, e is the charge of an electron, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

What factors affect electron drift velocity?

Electron drift velocity is affected by the strength of the electric field, the type of material, and the density of charge carriers in the material.

What is the unit of measurement for electron drift velocity?

The unit of measurement for electron drift velocity is meters per second (m/s).

Why is electron drift velocity important?

Electron drift velocity is important in understanding the behavior and properties of conducting materials. It is also crucial in the design and functioning of electronic devices and circuits.