What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Moonbear said:
When you smell them burning, turn the oven off. :biggrin: Oh, wait, that's Pengwuino's recipe. :tongue:

:grumpy: behind my back! Bah!

Physics news on Phys.org
I took your advice and had the crab in melted butter. Good call Moonbear. :biggrin:

Sad not many tea time snacks, Wolram has some good recipes for those.

How about SCARY food? I love reading recipes and came across this site which has some pretty scary recipes. I somehow ended up under the category of "green food". :bugeye:

I love green olives, but even I am afraid to try...

GREEN OLIVE SOUP

2 c Green olives, pitted
3 tb Olive oil
½ md Yellow onion, peeled and sliced
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 qt Chicken stock
1 c Whipping cream
6 tb Flour cooked with 3 Tbsp olive oil to make roux
Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
4 Shots Tabasco
⅓ c Dry sherry
Garnish:
Sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
Garlic-bread croutons

Serves 6 - 8 Soak the olives in cold water for 1 hour. Drain and coarsely chop the olives. Heat a frying pan and add the oil, onion, and garlic, along with 2/3 of the olives. Saute until the onions are transparent. Puree this mixture in a food processor along with 1 cup of the stock. Place this mixture in a 4-quart saucepan and add the remaining stock. Simmer for 20 minutes and add the cream. Whisk in the roux and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add pepper to taste and the remaining chopped olives, Tabasco, and dry sherry. Heat to serving temperature and serve with the sliced olive and crouton garnish. The Frugal Gourmet - 3 Ancient Cuisines From the collection of Jim Vorheis

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Green olive soup

Green Food

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Green on green soup

Last edited:
Okay, I just skimmed that recipe and saw olives and whipped cream in it. That CAN'T be a good combination. :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tea time snacks are Iranian Pastries, the best in the world by far.

http://www.lotteryofbirth.com/albums/iran/iran/food/pastry.jpg

Read the GREEN FOOD eat at your own risk

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Green on green soup

Very green casserole

Categories: Casserole
Yield: 8 Servings
1 cn French style green beans; 16oz
1 cn (17-oz) green peas
1 cn (16-oz) green :yuck: lima beans
¾ c Mayonnaise
1 ts Mustard
1 Hard boiled egg; chopped
1 Green onion w/top; chopped
Almonds; slivered & toasted

Drain vegetables, mix with remaining ingredients, cover with almonds. Bake in 1-1/2 quart casserole at 350 until heated thoroughly and bubbling. MRS J.L. TURNER, JR (WILLENE) MARVELL, AR From the book <High Cotton Cookin'>, Marvell Academy Mothers Assn, Marvell, AR 72366, ISBN 0-918544-14-9, downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey .

cyrusabdollahi said:
Tea time snacks are Iranian Pastries, the best in the world by far.

http://www.lotteryofbirth.com/albums/iran/iran/food/pastry.jpg
<gasp>[/URL] OOOOOHHHH <gasp>

Where do I get these Cyrus?

Or rather, when will you be sending these to me to avoid being banned?? :biggrin:

They are good because they are sweet, but they do not taste like sugar. All the crap sold here tastes like sugar :yuck: !

There is an Iranian bakery here that sells these cakes. Maybe next time you visit...I don't think the mail can insure such priceless items...:devil:

In france I love baba au rhum, those little cream filled swans, petit pan au chocolat.

In Italy, just open the doors to the shop :!) :!) . One morning Antonio got up early and came back with three large boxes filled with every pastry from each of the best bakeries in Palermo, he was gone over an hour collecting them for me. :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) The stuff is to die for.

cyrusabdollahi said:
They are good because they are sweet, but they do not taste like sugar. All the crap sold here tastes like sugar :yuck: !

There is an Iranian bakery here that sells these cakes. Maybe next time you visit...I don't think the mail can insure such priceless items...:devil:
I need to get up there this fall.

cyrusabdollahi said:
That settles it! The next PF Sisterhood road trip is to visit you for cakes...of both the sweet and the crab varieties! :biggrin: Those look delicious!

I made an edible meal yesterday, i bought a piece of steak flash fried it
both sides then put in a oven dish with chili, two oxos, half bottle strong beer, tin of tomatoes, two crushed coves of garlic, cooked it at 120 for
three hours.
the meat just fell apart and the sauce was nice and hot, great with some rough bread.

wolram said:
I made an edible meal yesterday, i bought a piece of steak flash fried it
both sides then put in a oven dish with chili, two oxos, half bottle strong beer, tin of tomatoes, two crushed coves of garlic, cooked it at 120 for
three hours.
the meat just fell apart and the sauce was nice and hot, great with some rough bread.
Mmmmmm, sounds yummy. :approve:

Any one tried the old method of (straw cooking), i have often thought that
some stews, chils would benifit from this cooking method.

what is straw cooking?

Evo said:
what is straw cooking?

Thee knows when you put your hand into a pile of wet grass it feels hot,
it works on the same principle. only you have a (straw box) and pack it with straw around your dish.

Here you go Evo, i have found this,

http://recipes.stsams.org/recipes/hayboxes4slowcooking.html

This is too good to be true, but it is true! I made it on Monday.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33671,00.html , by Giada De Laurentiis.

I knew it was going to be great when I saw her make it, but the finished product in my kitchen exceeded all expectations. I can't even describe how great this is. Seriously when my GF and I tasted it the only thing either one of us could think of to say was, "Holy flippin' sugar!" (censored for PF :D). As the Nike commercials say, just do it.

Tom Mattson said:
This is too good to be true, but it is true! I made it on Monday.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33671,00.html , by Giada De Laurentiis.

I knew it was going to be great when I saw her make it, but the finished product in my kitchen exceeded all expectations. I can't even describe how great this is. Seriously when my GF and I tasted it the only thing either one of us could think of to say was, "Holy flippin' sugar!" (censored for PF :D). As the Nike commercials say, just do it.
Just reading the name of it sounds yummy! Though, I much prefer Nocello over Limoncello. (I haven't even read the recipe yet, so don't know if that's a reasonable substitution in this case).

Nocello is a walnut liqueur, while limoncello is a lemon liqueur. It would be completely different. This cheesecake is supposed to taste like lemon, but I bet nocello in an apple cheesecake would be great.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
Nocello is a walnut liqueur, while limoncello is a lemon liqueur. It would be completely different. This cheesecake is supposed to taste like lemon, but I bet nocello in an apple cheesecake would be great.
I know it would be completely different, but I don't like lemon much, and I do like the walnut liqueur, so a walnut cheesecake might be quite tasty. :approve:

Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me (so I can get you cook for me every night)? :biggrin: :!) :!) :!)

Moonbear said:
I know it would be completely different, but I don't like lemon much, and I do like the walnut liqueur, so a walnut cheesecake might be quite tasty. :approve:

I think it would taste kind of funny with all that lemon zest. :tongue:

Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me (so I can get you cook for me every night)? :biggrin: :!) :!) :!)

Sure, I'll marry you but I expect to be rewarded for cooking. :biggrin:

Tom Mattson said:
I think it would taste kind of funny with all that lemon zest. :tongue:
Well, I did say I hadn't read the recipe when I made that comment. :rofl: Yeah, I'm not sure lemon and walnut would be a good combination (then again, I've never tried it). But, that's the sort of thing I do, I take a recipe that sounds really good, except for some flavoring I'd rather do without, and I'll start substituting things from there. Basically, use the cheesecake base as a template for adding other flavors.

Sure, I'll marry you but I expect to be rewarded for cooking. :biggrin:
No problem! If you cook like that all the time, I'd be glad to reward you...heck, I could even throw in washing the dishes. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Basically, use the cheesecake base as a template for adding other flavors.

I've already got some plans in the works for 4 different ones: blueberry, chocolate cherry, cherry almond, and caramel apple. I think I'll look into making that last one caramel apple walnut, and using nocello. :approve:

The best cheesecake in the world, hands down, is Saskatoon Amaretto Cheesecake, it is to die for! Frozen mocha cheesecake is good as well but nothing touches the saskatoon kind.

Moonbear said:
Oh, and by the way, Tom...will you marry me . . .
Incidentals and unnecessary information deleted. :biggrin:

Tom Mattson said:
Sure, I'll marry you . . . . :biggrin:
Unnecessary information deleted. :biggrin:

Great! That's good enough for me. I now pronounce you man and wife.

Let's eat!

Last edited:
http://www.funweddings.com/?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=1&Submit=Continue+%3E%3E%3E

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here today to join together this
man and this woman in virtual matrimony. Into this holy estate these two
persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause
why they may not be joined together, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Moonbear, do you take Tom Mattson to be your virtual wedded
husband? Do you promise to love, comfort,
honor, and keep him for better or
worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health as long as you both
shall live?

Quick Moonber, hit "I DO'. :biggrin:

Evo said:
http://www.funweddings.com/?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=1&Submit=Continue+%3E%3E%3E

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here today to join together this
man and this woman in virtual matrimony. Into this holy estate these two
persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause
why they may not be joined together, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Moonbear, do you take Tom Mattson to be your virtual wedded
husband? Do you promise to love, comfort,
honor, and keep him for better or
worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health as long as you both
shall live?

Quick Moonber, hit "I DO'. :biggrin:

Woo hoo! Tom, you may kiss the bride! :!) :!) :biggrin:

http://www.funweddings.com/index.php?p1=Moonbear&p2=Tom+Mattson&who=bride&wit=Astronuc&action=3&Submit=Click+Here+For+Your+Marriage+Certificate

<Throws rice>

:cry: I always cry at weddings. :cry:

We'll be having cheesecake at the reception. :smile:

Moonbear said:
We'll be having cheesecake at the reception. :smile:
Oooh. :approve:

I want to marry someone too!

Maybe we should have a "who would you marry" thread. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll marry cyrus, he has crabcakes. Or wolram, he's a good cook. But Penqwuino is learning to cook. Arildno has great pickles...it could be a "marriage of convenience". :smile:

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
I've already got some plans in the works for 4 different ones: blueberry, chocolate cherry, cherry almond, and caramel apple. I think I'll look into making that last one caramel apple walnut, and using nocello. :approve:

Hmm...and if he ever breaks his vows and stops cooking, I know which cheesecake to put the cyanide in. :biggrin: Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to let him find out I'm psycho until after the marriage is consummated, am I? :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Hmm...and if he ever breaks his vows and stops cooking, I know which cheesecake to put the cyanide in. :biggrin: Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to let him find out I'm psycho until after the marriage is consummated, am I? :uhh:
Oh, yeah, you definitely want to wait. :wink:

Woah here ! I have been gone only for a day and you have pulled of a wedding !
Moonbear pulled off a fast one, didn't she ?:approve:
Is the reception cheesecake also virtual ?:cry:
Do you mind sending the RV so that I can come over ?:wink:

Evo said:
Maybe we should have a "who would you marry" thread.
I was thinking about it ... nah:tongue:

Maybe we should marry off larkspur and honestrosewater too .
Four weddings and we can look for Moonbear and her cyanide to provide the funeral .:biggrin:

arunbg said:
Do you mind sending the RV so that I can come over ?:wink:
Sure, I think we can arrange to have the RV shuttle all our wedding guests over for the reception. Besides, the sooner we get everyone here for the reception, the sooner we can have the honeymoon! :biggrin:

Maybe we should marry off larkspur and honestrosewater too .
Four weddings and we can look for Moonbear and her cyanide to provide the funeral .:biggrin:
Just one funeral? How will we ever decide? :devil: