What is the Correct Metric Tensor for the Unit Sphere?

In summary, there is confusion about the notation of spherical coordinates, with different sources using different conventions. The correct notation for these coordinates is typically \theta as the "longitudinal" angle and \phi as the "co-latitude" angle. There may also be differences in the ordering of the components in the matrices used to represent these coordinates. It is important to clarify the specific notation and convention being used in order to accurately calculate and compare results.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Wiki says it's

1 0
0 [itex]sin^2\theta[/itex]

My book says it's

[itex]cos²\theta[/itex] 0
0 1

I calculate

1 0
0 [itex]cos^2\theta[/itex]

?! which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which angle is your theta? Mathematician's and physicist's notations of spherical coordinates seem to be opposite of each other. :rolleyes:

Exactly what coordinate system are you using on the surface of the sphere?

A standard choice (I would have thought) would be spherical coordinates, with [itex]\theta[/itex] as "longitudinal" angle, [itex]\phi[/itex] as "co-latitude" angle (measured from the positive z-axis), with [itex]\rho[/itex] set equal to 1. Using those I get
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}sin^2(\phi) & 0 & 0 & 1\end{array} \right)[/tex]
similar to what Wikpedia gives but with [itex]\theta[/itex] as latitude and reversing the order of the components.

I can't see how you could possibly get [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] without a square. If, as yenchin said, you use "latitude" instead of "co-latitude", you would get [itex]cos^2(\theta)[/itex]. Is it possible that your text has
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}cos^2(\theta) & 0 \\0 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]
instead of just the "cos" you give? In that case, the only difference between that and what you give is choice of order of components. The only difference between Wikpedia's result and yours is choice of "co-latitude" rather than "latitude

I see now how g_11 and g_22 would be inverted depending on how you order the coordinates, i.e.

[tex]g_{11}(\theta,\phi) = g_{22}(\phi, \theta)[/tex]

I used the same meaning of polar angles as the author of my book, i.e. theta as the "latitude" angle (measured from the projection of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] on the Oxy plane) and and phi as the "longitudinal" angle (measured from the positive x-axis to the projection of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] on the Oxy plane)

P.S. in my OP, the second matrix has cos² as its first term and not cos. Very sorry.

1. What is a metric tensor on a unit sphere?

A metric tensor on a unit sphere is a mathematical object used to measure distances and angles on a unit sphere. It is a symmetric, positive definite matrix that specifies the inner product between tangent vectors at each point on the sphere.

2. How is a metric tensor on a unit sphere different from a metric tensor on a flat surface?

A metric tensor on a unit sphere is different from a metric tensor on a flat surface because the unit sphere is a curved surface, while a flat surface is not. This means that the metric tensor on a unit sphere takes into account the curvature of the surface, while a metric tensor on a flat surface does not.

3. What is the role of a metric tensor on a unit sphere in differential geometry?

The metric tensor on a unit sphere is a fundamental tool in differential geometry. It is used to define the concept of distance and angle on a curved surface, which is essential for studying the properties of the surface and its geometric objects such as curves and surfaces.

4. How is a metric tensor on a unit sphere calculated?

A metric tensor on a unit sphere is calculated by first defining a coordinate system on the sphere and then using the metric tensor formula, which involves the partial derivatives of the coordinate functions. The resulting matrix is then normalized to be symmetric and positive definite.

5. What are the applications of a metric tensor on a unit sphere?

A metric tensor on a unit sphere has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to study the geometry of curved surfaces, to define the concept of distance and angle in general relativity, and to calculate the Christoffel symbols and Ricci curvature in differential geometry.