Solving the Electric Field at Center of Square: Magnitude & Direction

• Thread starter GenMipps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving a square figure with four charges placed at each corner. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of the square. The conversation includes the individual steps taken to solve the problem, including drawing a diagram and using the equation E = kq/r^2. However, the final answer is incorrect due to not converting the distance to meters.
GenMipps
This homework assignment is killing me. I keep thinking I know what I'm doing, and I keep getting it wrong. If anyone can tell me how I goofed this one up, I'd appreciate it.

What they give in the figure is a square. Upper left is +q, upper right is -2q, bottom right is +2q, and bottom left is -q. Each side of the square is given as a. Then the question reads:

What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of the square of Fig. 23-30 if q= 2.21 x10-8 C and a= 4.25 cm ?

Now, What I did was drew myself a diagram of this, and rotated it 45 degrees clockwise, so E3 was pointing up, E2 was pointing to the right, E1 was pointing down, and E4 was pointing to the left. So, using E = kq/r2, I found the electric fields. R has to be 3 using pythagoram's theorem (4.25^2+4.25^2 then divide by 2).

So, I got E1 = 22.0754 N/c, E2 = -44.151, E3 = 44.151 and E4 = -22.054. Now, I drew a diagram with these, and found the horizontal components (E2 and E4) were summed together to 22.0756. The vertical components were summed together and found to be -22.0756. So, with x and y components, the resultant should be 31.22. I then subtracted 45 degrees again since I had rotated it at the beginning. That gave the direction in the vertical direction.

However, when I entered this answer in, I got the magnitude wrong, but the direction correct. Where did I slip up?

Physics news on Phys.org
This just shows what I don't know. I thought the answer was 0. Sorry.

GenMipps said:
This homework assignment is killing me. I keep thinking I know what I'm doing, and I keep getting it wrong. If anyone can tell me how I goofed this one up, I'd appreciate it.

What they give in the figure is a square. Upper left is +q, upper right is -2q, bottom right is +2q, and bottom left is -q. Each side of the square is given as a. Then the question reads:

What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of the square of Fig. 23-30 if q= 2.21 x10-8 C and a= 4.25 cm ?

Now, What I did was drew myself a diagram of this, and rotated it 45 degrees clockwise, so E3 was pointing up, E2 was pointing to the right, E1 was pointing down, and E4 was pointing to the left. So, using E = kq/r2, I found the electric fields. R has to be 3 using pythagoram's theorem (4.25^2+4.25^2 then divide by 2).

So, I got E1 = 22.0754 N/c, E2 = -44.151, E3 = 44.151 and E4 = -22.054. Now, I drew a diagram with these, and found the horizontal components (E2 and E4) were summed together to 22.0756. The vertical components were summed together and found to be -22.0756. So, with x and y components, the resultant should be 31.22. I then subtracted 45 degrees again since I had rotated it at the beginning. That gave the direction in the vertical direction.

However, when I entered this answer in, I got the magnitude wrong, but the direction correct. Where did I slip up?

You must put the distance in *meters* in order to get the E field in N/C.

Patrick

GenMipps said:

You must put the distance in *meters* in order to get the E field in N/C.

Patrick

1. What is the formula for solving the electric field at the center of a square?

The formula for solving the electric field at the center of a square is E = k * Q / d^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 * 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), Q is the charge of the square, and d is the distance from the center of the square to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. How do I determine the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square?

To determine the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square, you can use the formula E = k * Q / d^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the square, and d is the distance from the center of the square to the point where the electric field is being calculated. Simply plug in the values and solve for E.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at the center of a square?

The direction of the electric field at the center of a square depends on the charge of the square. If the charge is positive, the electric field will point away from the center of the square. If the charge is negative, the electric field will point towards the center of the square. This can also be determined by the direction of the electric field lines, which always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. Can I use this formula to solve for the electric field at the center of any shape?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the electric field at the center of a square. For other shapes, you will need to use different formulas and methods. However, if the shape is symmetrical and has a known charge, you may be able to use a similar formula.

5. How can I use this information in real-world applications?

The calculation of the electric field at the center of a square is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production. It can also be used to design and optimize electrical systems and devices.