Who can explain to me how they get the work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work involved in expanding a gas from an initial state of 1.00L and 10.0 atm of pressure to 10.0L and 1.0 atm pressure. The formula W=-PdeltaV is mentioned, but it is noted that the work done is path-dependent and cannot be answered without additional information on the system or the problem's assumptions. The question is also raised about the level of the course and if helpers are allowed to mention "integration".
Song
Calculate the work involved in expanding a gas from an initial state of 1.00L and 10.0 atm of pressure to 10.0L and 1.0 atm pressure.

I know W=-PdeltaV
but I don't understand how they get w=-(1.00atm)(10.0L-5.00L)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I don't think anyone answered this because the work done is path-dependent, and with the info you've given, it can't be really "answered". Assumably P is a function of V or V is a function of P, depending on how this process was done.

Then what level course is this (are helpers allowed to mention "integration"?) Do you have any other info on the system or the problem's assumptions?

physics girl phd said:
I don't think anyone answered this because the work done is path-dependent, and with the info you've given, it can't be really "answered". Assumably P is a function of V or V is a function of P, depending on how this process was done.

Indeed. You can't answer this question becuase the path isn't given.

Song, are you sure that's exactly how the question was stated?

1. How do scientists get their work?

Scientists get their work through a variety of methods such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, collaborating with other scientists, and conducting research. They also often publish their work in scientific journals or present it at conferences.

2. What qualifications do scientists need to do their work?

Scientists typically have at least a bachelor's degree in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering. Many also have advanced degrees such as a master's or PhD. They also need to have strong critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as a curiosity and passion for their field of study.

3. How do scientists come up with their research ideas?

Scientists come up with research ideas through a combination of curiosity, observation, and existing knowledge in their field. They may also build upon previous research or collaborate with other scientists to develop new ideas. Some scientists also receive funding or grants to conduct specific research projects.

4. What methods do scientists use to conduct their work?

Scientists use a variety of methods to conduct their work, depending on their field of study. This may include experiments, fieldwork, simulations, or mathematical modeling. They also use specialized equipment and tools to collect and analyze data, such as microscopes, telescopes, or computer software.

5. What is the purpose of scientific research?

The purpose of scientific research is to expand our understanding of the natural world and to improve our lives through advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields. Scientific research also helps to address societal issues and challenges, and contributes to the overall progress and development of human knowledge.