Simple electrical field problem

In summary, we have a metal sphere of radius R with a charge q, surrounded by a concentric metal sphere. The outer surface of the shell has a charge of +30.0*10^-6C and the inner surface has a charge of +25.0*10^-6C. The question is to find q and sketch qualitative graphs of the radial electric field component Er and the electric potential V as functions of r. After consulting with an online tutor, it was initially suggested that q = -(25+30) micro coulombs = -55 micro coulombs. However, it was later determined that q should actually be -25 micro coulombs, as the charge on the outer surface of the shell has no
cyberstudent
A metal sphere of radius R with a charge q is surrounded by a concentric metal sphere as shown in Figure P.23. The outer surface of the the sperical shell has a charge of + 30.0*10^-6C and the inner surface of the shell has a charge of +25.0*10^-6C.
(a) Find q
(b) Sketch qualitative graphs of (i) the radial electric field component Er and (ii) the electric potential V as functions of r.

I hired an online tutor who told me that q = -(25+30) micro coulombs
= -55 micro coulombs.

I disagree.

Shouldn't q=-25 micro coulombs? There is no electric field inside the shell, since it is a conductor. The charge residing on the outer surface of the shell therefore should not have any effect on the sphere inside the concentric shell.

Should I fire my tutor or can I have confidence in his answers?

P.S. Diagram attached

Attachments

• 23.gif
    23.gif
    61.7 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
cyberstudent said:
A metal sphere of radius R with a charge q is surrounded by a concentric metal sphere as shown in Figure P.23. The outer surface of the the sperical shell has a charge of + 30.0*10^-6C and the inner surface of the shell has a charge of +25.0*10^-6C.
(a) Find q
(b) Sketch qualitative graphs of (i) the radial electric field component Er and (ii) the electric potential V as functions of r.

I hired an online tutor who told me that q = -(25+30) micro coulombs
= -55 micro coulombs.

I disagree.

Shouldn't q=-25 micro coulombs? There is no electric field inside the shell, since it is a conductor. The charge residing on the outer surface of the shell therefore should not have any effect on the sphere inside the concentric shell.

Should I fire my tutor or can I have confidence in his answers?

P.S. Diagram attached
I can't see your diagram yet, but it sounds like you are correct. The charge on the outermost surface has no effect. The net charge from the inner surface of the outer shell and everything inside is zero.

Thanks

I can't see your diagram yet, but it sounds like you are correct. The charge on the outermost surface has no effect. The net charge from the inner surface of the outer shell and everything inside is zero.

Great. Thanks for the confirmation. He is fired. :biggrin:

Attachments

• mydiagram.JPG
    mydiagram.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 432

What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a physical phenomenon that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles and affects the behavior of other charged particles within its vicinity.

What is a simple electrical field problem?

A simple electrical field problem involves determining the strength and direction of an electrical field at a given point in space, typically caused by one or more charged objects.

How do you calculate the strength of an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged object by the magnitude of the charge on that object. This is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What is the direction of an electrical field?

The direction of an electrical field is always in the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positively charged particle placed in the field. This means that the direction of the field is away from positively charged objects and towards negatively charged objects.

How does distance affect the strength of an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.