Calculating Skier's Height Over Ramp and Hedge Using Kinematics and Energy

• Thread starter samdiah
  • Start date
In summary, the skier in the attached figure starts from rest at a height of 16 m and leaves the 9.0 m ramp at an angle of 45 degrees. She clears the hedge on her way down at an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical. Assuming no friction and negligible size, the height of the hedge, H, can be solved for using kinematics and the conservation of mechanical energy. The kinetic energy will increase as the skier comes down, while the potential energy will be max at the top of the curve. The angle of decline and incline will not affect the solution. This is a question for the Sir Isaac Newton contest and the answer is 2.0 m.
samdiah
A skier swoops down a hill and over a ramp as in the attached figure. She starts from rest at a height of 16 m, leaves the 9.0 m ramp ata an angle of 45 degrees, and justt clears the hedge on her way down, making an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical as she does. Assuming that there is no friction, and that she is small compared to the dimensions of problem, solve for H, the height of the hedge in metres.

answer:
I am confused because I can't figure out what type of question this is! Is it dynamics or energy or combined? I think it can be solved using kinematics, but the question is on momentum and energy assignment. I would appreciate some help guiding me how to do this.

Attachments

• Diagram.doc
    26 KB · Views: 227
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this helps, but I think that roller coaster approach can be taken for this question.

Which would mean that the mechanical energy will be conserves and the only form of force would be from gravity.

We will also have Potential Energy (that will be max at top of cuve and kenetic energy (that will be 0 at top and increase as skier comes down).

KE = 0.5 * mass * (speed)^2

PE = mass * g * height

Help meeee! Please!

Is it true that angle of decline and incline will have no effect in this problem?

How to do this question?

this is sir isaac Newton contest question!

The answer for the question is 2.0 m, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone please help?

1. What is a "Skier Swoop"?

A "Skier Swoop" is a term used to describe a skiing technique where the skier makes a quick, fluid turn while descending a slope. It is often used to navigate through tight spaces or obstacles on the mountain.

2. How is a "Skier Swoop" different from a regular turn?

A "Skier Swoop" is different from a regular turn because it involves a more rapid and dynamic movement, with a tighter turn radius. It requires a higher level of skill and control from the skier.

3. What kind of terrain is ideal for a "Skier Swoop"?

A "Skier Swoop" is best suited for steep and challenging terrain, such as moguls, trees, or narrow chutes. It can also be used on groomed runs, but the terrain should be relatively steep to allow for a quick turn.

4. What are some tips for mastering the "Skier Swoop" technique?

To master the "Skier Swoop" technique, it is essential to have a strong foundation in skiing fundamentals, such as balance, edge control, and body positioning. Additionally, practicing on easier terrain before attempting it on more challenging slopes can help build confidence and improve technique.

5. Are there any risks associated with using the "Skier Swoop" technique?

As with any skiing technique, there are risks involved with using the "Skier Swoop" technique. It requires a high level of skill and control, so beginners or inexperienced skiers should avoid attempting it. Additionally, skiing on steep and challenging terrain always carries a risk of injury, so it is essential to assess the conditions and your ability before attempting a "Skier Swoop".