DIfferent Amounts of Oxygen in Combustion?

In summary: I'm using also has a table of combustion products at different equivalence ratios, and the table is much more user-friendly.In summary, a very short supply of oxygen means less than the stoichiometric minimum is available, which causes incomplete combustion.
JDK
Hello,

I know I should have knowledge of this, but I can't seem to remember very well what happens in combustion reactions with a very short supply, limited supply, and abundant supply of oxygen. What is the difference? I know complete combustion hands down, but what happens in a problem such as this...

(Write a balanced equation to represent the following)
a) Combustion of butane in a very short supply of oxygen

[?] Thanks so much! I don't need answers really, just an explanation of the three categorizations and their significance while writing the equations.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How "short" is a "very short supply?" How is the combustion process conducted? add butane incrementally to the limited oxygen? oxygen incrementally to the butane? mix and ignite?

That it does not specify. Sorry. I'm in Chem 20 and currently completing the Unit on Organic Halides and Hydrocarbon Reactions. What I posted is what the question completely is. I'm thinking, since I'm just beginning to learn organic chemistry, that the most simple assumption would be the correct one for the Q.

My inferrence from "short" and "limited" is that less than the stoichiometric minimum for complete combustion is available --- that said, there ain't no balanced equations for such combustions without a LOT of additional data.

The "simplest" assumption I can make is that the text for the course is less than carefully written. From that point, all I can suggest to you is that somewhere in the text are comments loosely defining "short, limited, and abundant" in the author's mind, and that the author's assertions regarding the topic are what you are to "regurgitate" as an indication that you have read the material, be it correct, or not.

You have my sympathies, and I'll wish you luck on this, and if you're going to continue in chemistry, be certain to understand that some sources are more useful than others.

http://succ.shirazu.ac.ir/~motor/page9t.htm may be of use. It contains a java applet for calculating combustion products at different equivalence ratios. As you can see, non-stoichiometric combustion gets very complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get CO instead of CO2 as a byproduct, which isnt' good.

Nautica

1. What is the relationship between oxygen and combustion?

The presence of oxygen is essential for combustion to occur. When a fuel and oxygen are present in the right ratio and are ignited, a chemical reaction occurs that produces heat and light, resulting in combustion.

2. How does the amount of oxygen affect combustion?

The amount of oxygen present in a combustion reaction directly affects its efficiency and intensity. A higher amount of oxygen will result in a more complete combustion and produce more heat and light.

3. What happens if there is not enough oxygen during combustion?

If there is not enough oxygen present during combustion, the reaction will not be able to fully consume the fuel, resulting in a less efficient and incomplete combustion. This can lead to the production of harmful by-products such as carbon monoxide.

4. What is the ideal ratio of oxygen to fuel for efficient combustion?

The ideal ratio of oxygen to fuel for efficient combustion is known as the stoichiometric ratio. This ratio varies depending on the type of fuel, but as a general rule, a ratio of 14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel is considered stoichiometric.

5. Can too much oxygen be present during combustion?

Yes, too much oxygen can be present during combustion. This can lead to a phenomenon known as "lean combustion" where the reaction produces less heat and light due to an excess of oxygen. This is often seen in engines and can lead to decreased efficiency and power output.