Problem in a non-inertial frame

In summary, The problem involves a car with constant linear acceleration, and a solid sphere rolling without slipping on the floor of the car in the same direction. The question is what is the acceleration of the sphere in the inertial frame? The solution involves finding the relationship between the linear and angular accelerations based on the no-slipping condition, and using Newton's 2nd law for both translational and rotational motion. The final answer is a(obs) = (2/7)*a, where a(obs) is the acceleration of the sphere in the inertial frame and a is the linear acceleration of the car.
coolguy
hey guys!
i have a problem in physics which i could'nt solve:

a car is moving with constant linear acceleration a along horizontal x-axis. A solid sphere of mass M and radius R is found rolling without slipping on the horizontal floor of the car in the same direction as seen from an inertial frame outside the car.What is the acceleration of the sphere in the inertial frame?

Could anyone help me with it please?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How the sphere rolling?
I mean its acceleration in car'frame.
Generally speaking,its acceleration in the inertial frame =car'acceleration+sphere's acceleration in car'frame
It's Gallilus theory

the sphere is rolling without slipping...thats all that has been given in the problem...does a pseudo force come into play??

No need for pseudoforces. Hint: Since it rolls without slipping, what must be the acceleration of the bottom surface of the sphere? Apply Newton's 2nd law for both translational and rotational motion.

i tried. but i am not getting it.could u be more precise with it please.
thanks.

since it is rolling without slipping,static friction comes into play.
let a(obs) be the acceleration observed in the inertial frame.let f be the force of friction.then
f*r = 2/5 m*(r^2)*a(obs)*r

now applying Newton's 2nd law
m*(a - a(obs)) = f

this step is a bit confusing and am getting the wrong answer.

Last edited:
coolguy said:
i tried. but i am not getting it.could u be more precise with it please.
thanks.

let a(obs) be the acceleration observed in the inertial frame.let f be the force of friction.then

m*(a - a(obs)) = f

this step is a bit confusing and am getting the wrong answer.

What Doc Al is suggesting is that you work entirely in the inertial observers frame of reference. The force of friction will accelerate the CM of the ball, and it will produce a torque that gives the ball angular acceleration. You need to find the relationship between the linear and angular accelerations based on the no-slipping condition.

An analogous problem you may have seen is a disk with a string wound around it laying flat on a frictionless table. What happens if the string is pulled horizontally with a constant force?

coolguy said:
Good.
Careful with this. The observed acceleration of the car is given as "a". Are you using "a(obs)" to be the acceleration of the sphere? (The acceleration of its center of mass, I presume?)

Another place to be careful. What you need here is the sphere's angular acceleration about its center of mass.

m*(a - a(obs)) = f
I guess I don't know what "a(obs)" means.

The key, as OlderDan says, is this:
OlderDan said:
You need to find the relationship between the linear and angular accelerations based on the no-slipping condition.
Hint: Try to express the angular acceleration of the sphere in terms of the accelerations of the sphere and the truck.

the a(obs) here is the required acceleration of the sphere with respect to the inertial frame.
are the two relations i have mentioned then correct?
please help with the second one.with that clear the problem will be simple to solve.

coolguy said:
the a(obs) here is the required acceleration of the sphere with respect to the inertial frame.
are the two relations i have mentioned then correct?
If that's the case, then neither is correct.
please help with the second one.with that clear the problem will be simple to solve.
OK.
coolguy said:
m*(a - a(obs)) = f
This is Newton's 2nd law for translation. You have called the force "f" and the acceleration "a(obs)". Rewrite it.

(But you need to redo your first equation also.)

Can we use [itex]f_r=\mu mg[/itex] and substitute that in the equation
[tex]f_r=\frac{I\alpha}{r}[/tex] and then use

[tex]a_o-r\alpha=a[/tex] where [tex]a_o[/tex] is the acceleration of the CM of the sphere?

thanks buddies.the answer correctly comes out to be a(obs) = (2/7)*a.

the only problem was due to the relative acceleration between the sphere and the car.
also friction need not be equal to (mu)*m*g.the force of friction gets canceled out.

thanks anyway.

coolguy said:
the answer correctly comes out to be a(obs) = (2/7)*a.
Good!

the only problem was due to the relative acceleration between the sphere and the car.
Right; it's needed to get the proper angular acceleration of the sphere about its center.
also friction need not be equal to (mu)*m*g.the force of friction gets canceled out.
Exactly right.

the answer correctly comes out to be a(obs) = (2/7)*a.
:eek:

I just computed it.But come out to be (2/5)*R^2*a.And I suppose the correct answer should include R.Is there something wrong with the correct answer?
my course:
friction force=Ia=(2/5)*m*R*R*a
inertial force=friction force(It maybe relative with a course called theory mechanics )

enricfemi said:
I just computed it.But come out to be (2/5)*R^2*a.And I suppose the correct answer should include R.Is there something wrong with the correct answer?
Your answer is not even dimensionally correct. The correct answer is independent of R.

my course:
friction force=Ia=(2/5)*m*R*R*a
Try using: Torque = I alpha

Indeed!
But apply this the answer is 2/5*a?:confused: :frown:

"Try using: Torque = I alpha"
Indeed!
By apply this the answer is 2/5*a?

enricfemi said:
But apply this the answer is 2/5*a?
What are you using for alpha? Express it in terms of "a" and "a(obs)". Hint: It's not a/r. Alpha is the angular acceleration of the sphere about its center of mass.

My course:
friction force=I*alpla/R=I*a/(R^2)=(2/5)*m*a
And I supposed friction force =inertial force.

enricfemi said:
friction force=I*alpla/R=I*a/(R^2)=(2/5)*m*a
As I said earlier, alpha does not equal a/r. To find alpha, you need the acceleration of the sphere's surface with respect to its center.
And I supposed friction force =inertial force.
For some reason, you seem to want to view this from a non-inertial frame, which is OK. But if the inertial force equaled friction (the only two forces on the sphere), the sphere would be in translational equilibrium.

1. What is a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is a reference frame that is accelerating or rotating. In contrast, an inertial frame is a reference frame that is not accelerating or rotating.

2. How does a non-inertial frame affect the movement of objects?

In a non-inertial frame, objects appear to experience fictitious forces that are not present in an inertial frame. These forces can cause objects to accelerate even though no external forces are acting on them.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to non-inertial frames?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of objects in a rotating reference frame. In non-inertial frames, the Coriolis effect can cause objects to follow curved paths even though they are not experiencing any external forces.

4. How can one account for non-inertial effects in their experiments or calculations?

To account for the effects of a non-inertial frame, scientists can use mathematical equations that incorporate fictitious forces. They can also conduct experiments in an inertial frame or make adjustments to account for the effects of the non-inertial frame.

5. What are some real-world examples of non-inertial frames?

Some examples of non-inertial frames include a car making a turn, a rollercoaster ride, and the Earth rotating on its axis. These frames experience acceleration or rotation, causing the objects within them to behave differently than they would in an inertial frame.