Poincare Conjecture Explained: Layman's Terms

In summary, the Poincare conjecture is a statement that characterizes the 3-sphere up to continuous equivalence. It involves properties such as being closed, bounded, connected, and simply connected. Recently, John Morgan from Columbia has published a preprint claiming to have worked out the details of Grigori Perelman's proof, which would officially prove the Poincare conjecture. This proof involves the idea of putting a metric on a manifold and evolving it into a constant curvature metric. However, this approach only works for manifolds that can be given a metric, which is enough to prove the conjecture.
Ragnar
What is the poincare conjecture in layman's terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
every subset of euclidean space which in the neighborhood of every point looks like a ball in R^3, and which is also closed, bounded, and connected, and in which every loops contracts continuousy to a point, is globally equivalent to S^3, the one point compactification of R^3, i.e. to the solution set of the equation X^2 +Y^2 +Z^2 +W^2 = 1, in R^4.

i.e. up to homeomorphism, the only compact, connected, simply conected, 3 manifold, is the 3 sphere.

it is a list of properties that characterize the 3 - sphere up to continuous equivalence.

closed, bounded, connected, locally euclidean, 3 dimensional, and "simply connected" i.e. all loops can be contracted continuously to points.

Last edited:
Is the poincare conjecture officialy proved?

well there is a preprint by john morgan from columbia (whom i know and trust) sAYINg HE HAS WORKED OUT THE DETAILS OF peRELEMANS PROOF ANd THAT IT IS INDEED PROVED. SO I CANNOT SAY PERSONALLY I KNOW THIS BUT I BELieVE JOhn THAT IT IS.

http://www.ams.org/notices/200608/comm-perelman.pdf

Last edited:
Does a proven Poincare conjecture imply anything for manifolds that do not have a positive definite metric?
Is so, what?

Last edited:
If the statement of the conjecture didn't involve a metric (it looked like all topology to me), i.e. we're not even assuming we have defined a metric, why would the proof of the conjecture have any relevance to an as-yet undefined metric?

Hi, masudr,

Not sure I understand the question (or was it rhetorical?), but if you saw something about Hamilton's program or the recent proof by Perelman, this involves the idea of putting a metric on a manifold and then evolving it by a "lossy" PDE (analogous to the heat equation, which over time "evenly spreads out" an initial disturbance, thus destroying evidence that of said disturbance). This evolution gradually deforms our metric into a constant curvature metric. Think of this as a kind of differential topology analog to the algebraic algorithm for finding the rational canonical form of a matrix.

This idea doesn't really work, because the evolution tends to develop "kinks" which can prevent the "smoothing", but Hamilton fixed it up under some circumstances and then Perelman made it work in sufficient generality to establish the Poincare conjecture.

The summary I just offered is a huge oversimplification. For an accurate account, see http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0610903

Last edited:
since every simply connected three manifold can apparently be given a metric, it suffices to prove the conjecture for thiose that can have one. then since the statement that amanifold is homeo orphic to the usual three sphere is independent of which metric is chosen, proving it using a metric in fact proves it period.

What is the Poincare Conjecture?

The Poincare Conjecture is a mathematical problem posed by French mathematician Henri Poincare in the early 20th century. It states that any closed 3-dimensional manifold (a type of geometric space) is topologically equivalent to a 3-dimensional sphere.

Why is the Poincare Conjecture important?

The Poincare Conjecture is important because it is one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems, a set of unsolved problems in mathematics that have been designated by the Clay Mathematics Institute as the most important and challenging problems of the millennium. It also has implications in many fields, including topology, geometry, and physics.

What is the significance of the Poincare Conjecture being solved?

If the Poincare Conjecture were to be solved, it would have a major impact on the understanding of 3-dimensional spaces and would open up new areas of research in mathematics. It would also have implications in other fields, such as physics and computer science.

Who solved the Poincare Conjecture?

The Poincare Conjecture was solved by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2002-2003. He published his proof online in 2003, but declined the prestigious Fields Medal and other awards for his work.

Can the Poincare Conjecture be explained in simpler terms?

The Poincare Conjecture can be explained as a problem that asks whether it is possible to turn a rubber band into a perfect sphere without cutting or tearing it. In other words, it asks whether any closed 3-dimensional shape can be transformed into a 3-dimensional sphere without any holes or handles.