Symmetry groups of EM Field

In summary, The conversation discusses the invariance of E^2-B^2 under various transformations. The first matrix mentioned is a member of a group, possibly called SU(1,1), and is similar to the Lorentz group but with complex entries. The second matrix is not a member of this group. The conversation also mentions a helpful resource for understanding SU(1,1).
Mentz114
I understand that [tex] E^2 - B^2 [/tex] is invariant under various transformations.

If we consider the vector ( E, B ) as a column, then [tex] E^2 - B^2 [/tex] is preserved after mutiplication by a matrix -

| cosh( v) i.sinh(v) |
| i.sinh(v) cosh(v) |

I think this transformation belongs to a group, but I can't put a name to it.
Does anyone recognise it ?

This matrix

1 i
i 1

also seems to preserve E^2-B^2 but is it a member of the preceeding ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at what you are doing, this is the same as preserving the spacetime interval in 1+1 dimensions (t,x). So it's 'like' the lorentz group, though you've got complex entries and the one parameter family is not a group. Call it a subset of SU(1,1). The second matrix doesn't even preserve E^2-B^2.

Dick, thanks a lot.
I thought it might be a subset of 1+1 boosts.
I must have fumbled the calculation with the second matrix. Too much coffee...

Thanks again for naming the group. It is SU(1,1) in all its glory.
I had a lucky find which I've attached. It is a great intro to the group, see
especially section 6.1. I just noticed that the file is called SU12, that is an error,
it really is about SU(1,1).

M

Attachments

• SU12 group .pdf
    189.7 KB · Views: 379

What are symmetry groups of EM Field?

Symmetry groups of EM Field refer to the mathematical structures that describe the symmetries of electromagnetic fields, which are physical phenomena characterized by the interactions between electric and magnetic fields. These groups describe the transformations that leave the field equations of electromagnetism invariant under certain conditions.

Why are symmetry groups important in studying EM Field?

Symmetry groups are important because they help us understand the underlying principles and behaviors of electromagnetic fields. By studying these groups, we can identify patterns and relationships between different types of fields and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

What are the different types of symmetry groups of EM Field?

There are several types of symmetry groups of EM Field, including rotational symmetry, translational symmetry, and Lorentz symmetry. Rotational symmetry refers to the invariance of the field equations under rotations around a fixed point, while translational symmetry refers to the invariance under translations in space. Lorentz symmetry, also known as Poincaré symmetry, refers to the invariance under transformations between different frames of reference.

How do symmetry groups impact the study of electromagnetism?

Symmetry groups play a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism, as they provide a framework for understanding the fundamental laws and principles of electromagnetic fields. They also help us make predictions about the behavior of these fields and guide the development of new technologies and applications.

What are some real-world applications of symmetry groups in EM Field?

The study of symmetry groups in EM Field has led to numerous real-world applications, including the development of electric motors and generators, antennas, and telecommunications systems. These groups also play a key role in the fields of optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics, among others.