Conserved Charge Inconsistency: Hamiltonian v. Lagrangian

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, there is an inconsistency between the definition of conserved charge and conserved current in Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulation. This is illustrated by the example of a conserved charge H = \int T^{00} d^3x and the conservation equation \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0, where the last integral is not always zero due to boundary terms. In field theory in Minkowski space, the hypersurface integrals are usually chosen to be zero, but on curved manifolds such as in general relativity, these boundary terms become important. This leads to the condition that T^{i0} = 0 at the boundary in order for the charge to be conserved.
kakarukeys
Is there an inconsistency between the definition of conserved charge and conserved current in Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulation?

For example, [tex]H = \int T^{00} d^3x[/tex] is a conserved charge,
[tex]\frac{dH}{dt} = \{H, H\} = 0[/tex]

But we have [tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex] implies
[tex]\int (\partial_\mu T^{\mu 0}) d^3x = \int (\partial_0 T^{00} + \partial_i T^{i0}) d^3x = 0[/tex] so it seems
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int T^{00}d^3x = - \int \partial_i T^{i0} d^3x \neq 0[/tex]

I'm very puzzled.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the last integral non-zero? If the charge is constant, shouldn't the current be zero?

So there's a contradiction. In general if there is a boundary, the last integral is not zero.

Yes, of course. It's the case on curved manifolds which occur in GR, for example. The boundary terms are very important. However, as it's usually presented in field theory in Minkowski space, the hypersurface integrals are always chosen to be 0.

So is there a condition
[tex]T^{i0} = 0[/tex] at boundary?

If you take a volume in which the charge is conserved that will mean there is no net charge flowing in or out of the boundary, which is the last condition you mention (integrated over the surface).

1. What is a conserved charge inconsistency in the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms?

A conserved charge inconsistency refers to a discrepancy between the conserved quantities calculated using the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms in classical mechanics. This can occur due to differences in the mathematical techniques used to derive the equations of motion in the two formalisms.

2. How is a conserved charge inconsistency resolved?

To resolve a conserved charge inconsistency, the equations of motion derived from the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms need to be made consistent. This can be achieved by introducing additional constraints or modifying the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian in a way that preserves the symmetries of the system.

3. What causes a conserved charge inconsistency?

A conserved charge inconsistency can be caused by several factors, such as non-commutativity of operators, gauge symmetries, or constraints in the system. These can lead to differences in the way that conserved quantities are calculated in the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms.

4. Can a conserved charge inconsistency affect the physical predictions of a system?

Yes, a conserved charge inconsistency can have physical consequences. In some cases, it may lead to energy non-conservation or incorrect predictions of the system's behavior. Therefore, it is important to resolve these inconsistencies to ensure accurate and consistent results.

5. Are there any real-life examples of conserved charge inconsistencies?

Yes, conserved charge inconsistencies have been observed in various physical systems, such as in the study of gauge theories, classical and quantum field theories, and general relativity. These inconsistencies have been addressed through the development of new mathematical techniques and approaches to make the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms consistent.