Electrostatics charge question

In summary, the explanation for why brushing or combing your hair gives it "volume" is because it involves collision between the particles of different objects, causing one object to become negatively charged and the other positively charged. This movement of electrons creates a repelling effect between the hairs, making them stand out and giving the illusion of more volume. This effect can be seen in demonstrations with a van de graaf generator, where individual hairs stand up due to the repulsion of the charged particles. However, as we age, this effect may become less noticeable due to changes in hair texture and density.
pharaoh
I had this question on the test yesterday,

why does brushing or combing your hair give it "volume"?

my answer was because combing or brushing involve collision (like rubbing) between the particles of different object, making one object to become negatively charg and the pther positively charge.

is my answer is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're correct. The electrons move from the two objects, making one positive and one negative.

thank you for your response!

Not to nitpick, but why does that give your hair "volume"? (Complete the explanation.)

Is that a general question or is it addressed to me or is it addressed to pharaoh?

I was addressing it to pharaoh, of course! He gave a correct, but partial, answer.

All I know is the older I get the less it seems to work. I would assume ? directed at the OP.

Doc Al said:
Not to nitpick, but why does that give your hair "volume"? (Complete the explanation.)

well, Idon't really have any idea beside the first answer.

you're probably overlooking the obvious or thinking too hard. If the brushing causes each hair to stand out and repel its neighbors--ever seen a van de graaf generator demo where each hair is erect--then the perceived volume increases, Now if you have only two hairs on your head, you might look like some alien with antennae.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces they create.

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field.

3. What are the two types of electric charges?

The two types of electric charges are positive and negative. Positive charges are associated with protons and negative charges are associated with electrons.

4. How are electric charges created?

Electric charges are created through the transfer of electrons between objects. This can occur through friction, conduction, or induction.

5. What is the unit of electric charge?

The unit of electric charge is the Coulomb (C), named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.