Total energy of an oscillator

In summary, the problem involves a mass oscillating on a spring with an amplitude reduction of .96 per cycle due to frictional effects. The goal is to calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to .50 of its initial value. By using the equation log .50 = t log(.96)^2, we can find the number of cycles (t) needed for the energy to decrease by a factor of .50. After solving for t, we can then find the total time by multiplying it by the period of oscillation, resulting in a time of 8.48 seconds. However, it is important to note that t represents the number of cycles, not the time in seconds.
fruitl00p

Homework Statement

A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of .940s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of .96 due to a small velocity dependent of frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to .50 of its initial value.

Homework Equations

unsure... A=Ao*factor^N

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to approach this. I did

log .50 = t log(.96)^2
t= log(.50)/log(.96)^2
t=8.48 s

but that was incorrect. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In you equation

log .50 = t log(.96)^2,

"t" isn't the time in seconds, it's the number of cycles of oscillation when the energy has decayed to .50 of the original value.

You want to time for 8.48 cycles with a period of 0.940 sec/cycle.

Oh, I see now. I think I can handle the equation from here. Well, I'm going to attempt the problem again to make sure :smile:

Yes, I got it correct, thank you AlephZero!

1. What is the total energy of an oscillator?

The total energy of an oscillator is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. It is a measure of the energy stored in the oscillator's motion and the energy stored in the oscillator's position, respectively.

2. How is the total energy of an oscillator calculated?

The total energy of an oscillator can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2, where m is the mass of the oscillator, v is the velocity, and x is the displacement.

3. How does the total energy of an oscillator change over time?

The total energy of an oscillator remains constant over time, as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy. The energy may change between kinetic and potential forms, but the total amount remains the same.

4. Can the total energy of an oscillator be negative?

No, the total energy of an oscillator cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of energy stored in the oscillator's motion and position. If the total energy is negative, it would imply that the oscillator has less energy than when it is at rest, which is not possible.

5. How does the total energy of an oscillator relate to its amplitude?

The total energy of an oscillator is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that if the amplitude increases, the total energy of the oscillator also increases. This relationship is described by the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where A is the amplitude and k is the spring constant.