A Full Wave Rectifier Bridge With A Capacitor

In summary, the person has a 12V RMS transformer and wants to create a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor to get a 12V DC output. They are unsure of how to calculate the necessary capacitor and resistor and the voltage needed for the capacitor. They have successfully created the bridge but need further assistance in determining the appropriate components.
zouzanda
1. i have a transformor 12 v rms i want to do a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor and get a 12v dc

2. i need to know how i can calculat the capacitor needed and the resistor and wat to know how many voltage should the capacitor be (NB: i don't know wat is the current of the transformore :rofl:

3. i have done the bridge and its working

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Why do you think this will give you 12v DC?
2. I don't understand your question.

hey

ok ill try to explain i have a transformer its from 220V to 12v i did a diode bridge for it and i measured the voltage by the multymeter it shows 12 v. but the thing is i need to add a capacitor to the bridge and a resistor to decrease the ripple and i donno how much the capacitor should be how many farad and how much its voltage

1. What is a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor?

A full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) using diodes and a capacitor. It is commonly used in power supplies to convert the AC power from the mains into a steady DC voltage.

2. How does a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor work?

The four diodes in the full wave rectifier bridge are arranged in a specific way to allow current to flow in only one direction. The capacitor is then used to smooth out the DC output by storing and releasing charge, resulting in a more stable voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor?

Compared to a half wave rectifier, a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor has a higher efficiency and produces a smoother DC output. Additionally, it can handle higher currents and voltages, making it suitable for a wider range of applications.

4. What are the disadvantages of using a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor?

One of the main disadvantages of this circuit is that it requires four diodes, which can be more expensive and take up more space compared to a half wave rectifier. It also has a more complex design and may require additional components for voltage regulation.

5. What are some common applications of a full wave rectifier bridge with a capacitor?

This circuit is commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices such as laptops, TVs, and other household appliances. It is also used in audio equipment, battery chargers, and many other electronic devices that require a steady DC voltage.