Partial Fraction Integration for (3x+4)/((x^2+4)(3-x))

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of partial fractions to solve a problem involving an integral with a complicated denominator. The process involves multiplying by the denominator and solving for the coefficients before integrating. The final answer should include a modulus sign in the second term.
tanky322

Homework Statement

integral((3X+4)/((x^2+4)(3-x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should be using partial fractions for this problem but the x^2 in the denom. screws me up. I think the partial fraction should be:

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + C/(3-x)

Then:

(Ax+B)(3-x)+C(x^2+4)

Then:

(x^2+4)(3-x)=-Bx-Ax^2+3B+3Ax+Cx^2+C4

So now I am completely lost assuming I am even on the right track.:bugeye:

Thanks Alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
(x^2+4)(3-x)=-Bx-Ax^2+3B+3Ax+Cx^2+C4

This makes no sense. Your first steps aren't actual equations, which is confusing you.

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + C/(3-x) = (3x+4)/(x^2+4)(3-x)

Multiplying by the two denomiator parts gives

(Ax+B)(3-x) + c(x^2+4) = 3x+4

This is for all x, so plug in clever values (like x=3), to solve for a, b and c

I'm not sure what you're doing! You have [tex]\frac{3x+4}{(x^2+4)(3-x)}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+4}+\frac{C}{3-x}[/tex]. Now multiply through by the denominator of the LHS to yield [tex]3x+4=(Ax+B)(3-x)+C(x^2+4)[/tex]. Now you need to find three equations to obtain A B and C.

Ok it makes more sense now, this partial fraction stuff drives me nuts!:yuck:

Thanks guys!

Ok so I just worked on this problem again... It was driving me nuts! This is what I came out with,
A=1
B=0
C=1

So for a final answer I came up with,
(Ln(x^2+4))/2+Ln(3-x)+ C

Is that right??

Thanks,

Andy

tanky322 said:
Ok so I just worked on this problem again... It was driving me nuts! This is what I came out with,
A=1
B=0
C=1

So for a final answer I came up with,
(Ln(x^2+4))/2+Ln(3-x)+ C

Is that right??

Thanks,

Andy

Partial fraction decomposition right. Integration wrong. The second term should have a negative sign. The answer should be [tex]\frac{1}{2}\ln{(x^2+4)} - \ln{|3-x|} + C[/tex]. Don't forget the modulus sign on the second term (it's optional for the first since the square expression is nonnegative for real x).

What is "Partial Fraction Integration"?

Partial fraction integration is a method used in calculus to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions, which can then be integrated using known integration rules. It is particularly useful when dealing with integrals involving fractions with higher degree polynomials in the numerator or denominator.

Why is Partial Fraction Integration important?

Partial fraction integration allows for the simplification of complex integrals, making them easier to solve and leading to more accurate results. It is also used in various areas of physics, engineering, and other scientific fields where integration is a crucial tool for solving problems.

How do you perform Partial Fraction Integration?

To perform partial fraction integration, the fraction is first decomposed into simpler fractions with unknown coefficients. These coefficients are then solved by equating the original fraction to the decomposed fractions and solving for the unknowns. The resulting fractions can then be integrated using known integration rules.

What are the different types of Partial Fraction Integration?

There are two main types of partial fraction integration: proper and improper fractions. Proper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. The method of partial fraction integration differs slightly for each type.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Partial Fraction Integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid in partial fraction integration include incorrectly decomposing the fraction, not setting up the equations properly to solve for the unknown coefficients, and making mistakes in the integration of the decomposed fractions. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to ensure accuracy in the final result.